Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevinswither

Rearing info for corydidarum magnifica/pygmea

11 posts in this topic

They need enclosures with high humidity and high ventilation as well, they won't reproduce in a cage with stuffy, stagnant air. Fruits like apple and banana seem to be their favorite foods, you should offer a protein filled food like dog food or chick feed too, but fruits should be available at all times. For hides, smooth curved bark pieces seem to work the best, they will also bore into large chunks of rotten wood if you provide them with some, (not that they need wood in their diet though!). 

Hope this helps! :)

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

They need enclosures with high humidity and high ventilation as well, they won't reproduce in a cage with stuffy, stagnant air. Fruits like apple and banana seem to be their favorite foods, you should offer a protein filled food like dog food or chick feed too, but fruits should be available at all times. For hides, smooth curved bark pieces seem to work the best, they will also bore into large chunks of rotten wood if you provide them with some, (not that they need wood in their diet though!). 

Hope this helps! :)

It does help. Doesn't the males mature way quicker than the females? 

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Kevinswither said:

It does help. Doesn't the males mature way quicker than the females? 

That's what I've heard, but my C.pygmaea all seem to mature at the same time, regardless of gender. The males do have a very short lifespan compared to females though, so you definitely want to start out with nymphs of the same age, (not SIZE, since male nymphs are much smaller than females of the same age), or adult pairs. Starting with a truly "mixed" age group could result in a bunch of unmated females.

I can only speak for Corydidarum magnifica. 

It's almost the same as Corydidarum pygmaea. 

The males dies about 3 months after they reach adulthood. 

1 person likes this

On 09.12.2017 at 0:56 AM, Hisserdude said:

enclosures with high humidity and high ventilation as well, they won't reproduce in a cage with stuffy, stagnant air.

One of the most hard-to-make-and-maintain types of habitats in captivity, IMO. High-elevation type - cool, windy, with humid air and dry soil - is more tricky, but there're usually no roaches at 3500...5000m...

It's definitely not for small enclosures, the only way to keep it small is to put inside a large tank.

My colony of Cordidarum is thriving - very slowly increasing in number, from about a dozen mixed adults and nymphs in 2012 (WC brought from Cambodia) to slightly more than 40 adult females now. 

Usually they sit on the underside of pieces of bark, large dead leaves etc.,, but in my conditions they do not burrow. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, mehraban said:

One of the most hard-to-make-and-maintain types of habitats in captivity, IMO. High-elevation type - cool, windy, with humid air and dry soil - is more tricky, but there're usually no roaches at 3500...5000m...

It's definitely not for small enclosures, the only way to keep it small is to put inside a large tank.

My colony of Cordidarum is thriving - very slowly increasing in number, from about a dozen mixed adults and nymphs in 2012 (WC brought from Cambodia) to slightly more than 40 adult females now. 

Usually they sit on the underside of pieces of bark, large dead leaves etc.,, but in my conditions they do not burrow. 

Well it probably differs from species to species, my C.pygmaea are doing great being kept very humid, with a lot of ventilation. Which species of Corydidarum do you have? Would love to see some pictures, I'm obsessed with this genus, and really all genera in the Perisphaerinae! :D

High ventilation, warm temps, and lots of fruit, or a pollen substitute for some species, (like Corydidarum sp. "Yunnan").

On 12/24/2017 at 6:42 PM, Hisserdude said:

High ventilation, warm temps, and lots of fruit, or a pollen substitute for some species, (like Corydidarum sp. "Yunnan").

For males of magnifica, I can just store them at room temp so the females can mature first right? Ditto with pygmea? 

1 hour ago, Kevinswither said:

For males of magnifica, I can just store them at room temp so the females can mature first right? Ditto with pygmea? 

You can do that, however FYI, my C.pygmaea all seem to mature at almost the same time regardless of sex, just had another whole litter of nymphs mature this month, the males all seemed to mature a week or two before the females, but now the gals have caught up and there is a lot of breeding action going on! :)

If kept under the right conditions, I assume the same should happen to any C.magnifica nymphs you get, if they come from the same litter. If you get a "mixed" group though, with nymphs from different litters, I'd employ that trick of keeping the males cool until the females mature. ;)

1 person likes this