Lithobius forficatus young!

Matttoadman

Back in September I collected 3 of these centipedes. Today I have found pedelings. I assume these would still be considered captive reared? I’m guessing I need to get a bunch of the springtails out of my millipede tank. There are some freshly hatched P. scaber in there now. Of course they are there cause the adults ignore the adult.  

21C0F51A-0549-412B-8FE9-79E44F50A9D6.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice, congrats on getting offspring! :) From what I've read in Orin's Centipede book, dog food and various fruits work great for rearing these and other stone centipedes, and may work better for your pedelings than trying to find really tiny prey.

• Like 1

I removed some tiny temperate springtails from the millipedes. Plus I put some flake fish food for the P. scaber offspring. I finally saw the adults eating last night. I put in some tiny dubia and one was munching away. The isopod adult was trying feed on it too. The centipede finally ran off with it like a dog and a bone.

7 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Nice, congrats on getting offspring! :) From what I've read in Orin's Centipede book, dog food and various fruits work great for rearing these and other stone centipedes, and may work better for your pedelings than trying to find really tiny prey.

Fruits? Huh.

I used to keep a stone centipede that would eat small plant seedlings that sprouted in its container.

15 hours ago, Salmonsaladsandwich said:

Fruits? Huh.

I used to keep a stone centipede that would eat small plant seedlings that sprouted in its container.

Yup, according to Orin, they do much better when fruits and such are available in their diet than when fed just live prey, apparently they are a lot more omnivorous than most other centipedes.

I threw three into a tiny container. It’s coco fiber, cypress mulch(tell them it’s a problem), some leaf pieces, a piece of wood and a rock. I mist it weekly. And throw in tiny dubia once a week or so.  I plan to upgrade the habitat soon since I see the babies. However I don’t want to crush them.

Congrats on the baby's. :) I found that young centipedes are good scavengers. I actually would freeze pinhead crickets and lateralis to feed them. Now my r longipes are in a communal bin with a massive p scaber colony and I havnt fed them for a year now got lots of little baby's growing up in there now. 

• Like 1