Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boomie

Baby count extremely low, dead bodies with pink heads/front Dubia

5 posts in this topic

Pulled two dubia colonies. One made a day after the other. One put out the right amount and sizes of nymphs you would assume for two months of breeding. The second tub, put out maybe 2 weeks worth of 1/8 hatchlings, no other sizes, and extremely low numbers for two months. Dead females roaches appear to have some sort of pink (hot pink) fungus or mold around their heads and front legs. No males (dead or alive) appeared to be infected with the same thing. Diet had no change from what they normally eat. Any ideas? The whole colony is deemed to be put down at this moment encase of whatever this is spreading to my other colonies. 

So after more reading, I see that some people are saying that roaches and other insects can turn pink after death but I'm worried that this is a worse case thing with the extreme low baby count.

The pink stuff sounds like a common bacteria that grows on dead roaches, it is not the cause of death. 

What are you feeding this colony? What is the ambient temperature? 

They get chicken feed, and ground dog food. Temperature stays at 27-30 C. Humidity stays at 60-70%

1 person likes this

Try adding some fruit to their diet, Blaptica always breed better when they have access to fruits.