Habronattus8

Domino Roaches Missing Legs

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My domino roach colony is doing pretty well, but I keep finding legs missing on a lot of them, even adults. Are they munching on each other? How can I prevent this, I almost always have water and food in their cage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you feeding them? Is at least half of the enclosure moist? It does sound like cannibalism to me, sometimes they mich on each other when they don't have enough supplemental food, (dog food, fruits). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

What are you feeding them? Is at least half of the enclosure moist? It does sound like cannibalism to me, sometimes they mich on each other when they don't have enough supplemental food, (dog food, fruits). 

Thanks for your reply! They have a sea sponge that’s soaking wet in their food bowl. They always have oak leaves and almost always have something else to eat like oats, berries, squash, grapes, tomatoes. I’ve seen even the smaller ones get into the food bowl, so I doubt they’re having trouble getting into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2017 at 10:08 AM, Habronattus8 said:

Thanks for your reply! They have a sea sponge that’s soaking wet in their food bowl. They always have oak leaves and almost always have something else to eat like oats, berries, squash, grapes, tomatoes. I’ve seen even the smaller ones get into the food bowl, so I doubt they’re having trouble getting into it.

Hmm, well how old are the adults? Missing tarsi, and sometimes missing limbs can be an artifact of old age, and Domino roach adults typically only live up to 5 months, give or take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2017 at 10:37 PM, Hisserdude said:

What are you feeding them? Is at least half of the enclosure moist? It does sound like cannibalism to me, sometimes they mich on each other when they don't have enough supplemental food, (dog food, fruits). 

Thanks for your reply! They have a sea sponge that’s soaking wet in their food bowl. They always have oak leaves and almost always have something else to eat like oats, berries, squash, grapes, tomatoes. I’ve seen even the smaller ones get into the food bowl, so I doubt they’re having trouble getting into it.

 

My adult is a female who has laid about 5 ootheca, not sure of her age though. The younger ones have a bunch of limb segments missing too though.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Habronattus8 said:

My adult is a female who has laid about 5 ootheca, not sure of her age though. The younger ones have a bunch of limb segments missing too though.... 

Hmm, still sounds like a humidity issue to me. Is any part of their actual substrate moist? Just having a water bowl may not be enough for them, the lower half of the substrate should be kept pretty moist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now