TheSwarmThing

tree leaves as food

Hi Everyone, recently I put some big (dead) maple leaves to some of my cockroach enclosures just as decoration and climbing surface, but some species seem to be eating them (e.g: Hemiblabera brunneri, Elliptorhina javanica). 

Do you give dead leaves as food for your roaches? If yes, which tree species would you recommend? 

Thanks a lot and happy new year! :)

In my experience, they are great. Some species seem to even require them. Hardwood species are recommended. Oak seems to last the best without decaying too quickly. Plus oak are easiest to identify. I spend the fall and winter collecting oak leaves to keep for the late spring and summer. 

• Like 1

I've read in few places that suggest oak, beech, birch, maple, sycamore, magnolia, apple and cherry leaves with no problems. But, like Matttoadman said Oak is one of the easiest and sometimes seems that it is the most tastiest to them as well. 

• Like 1

I recently discovered my dubias and hissers will sometimes eat dried ash, willow, and pear leaves before eating some of the fresher foods.  That tells me there is something in them that they need.  

• Like 1

I feed my roaches and isopods almost exclusively dead leaves of various species and rotten wood... rare occasion I'll offer fruits and veggies. 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:02 PM, Marlon said:

I recently discovered my dubias and hissers will sometimes eat dried ash, willow, and pear leaves before eating some of the fresher foods.  That tells me there is something in them that they need.  

Dead leaves are part of their natural diet. According to Cockroaches: Ecology, Behavior, and Natural History, which researchgate gives out free online, they lack many chemical defenses found in green leaves and contain nutritious decomposing microorganisms.