Opisthoplatia orientalis enclosure

Hi Everyone, I'm considering keeping Opisthoplatia orientalis. I've read that they are semiaquatic. What kind of set-up would you suggest for this species? Should I put some water to their enclosure?

Thanks a lot! :)

Nah, semiaquatic setups are too complicated, and no one keeps this species that way. Just keep them very humid and they'll do fine! :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Nah, semiaquatic setups are too complicated, and no one keeps this species that way. Just keep them very humid and they'll do fine! :)

Yes, it is complicated to even imagine how could I design such an enclosure, so thanks for the tip, I will stick to a normal set-up then. :) 

Now see I would be challenged with this idea. I would take a dish and glue rocks, sand and gravel to the sides and bottom. Then sink it in the substrate. Fill with water. The just remove and rinse as needed. I would also make stack of rocks to create an aquatic look. 

Standing water doesn't seem to work well for most Epilamprids, they'd need to have a running water source, or else they'll get sick. So that adds to the complexity of doing a semiaquatic setup.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips @Matttoadman and @Hisserdude! I could imagine a beautiful enclosure with a waterfall or some other source of running water for these roaches, but this would be out of my budget right now. :(  But I keep your suggestions in mind, and perhaps in the future I can make a semi-aquatic display. :)

@Hisserdude is the problem with the standing water was your own experience or did you read it somewhere? I'm only asking because if it's in a book or paper I would love to read it, I'm always trying to learn new things about insects. And if it is your own experience, then thanks a lot for sharing this valuable information! :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheSwarmThing said:

Thanks for the tips @Matttoadman and @Hisserdude! I could imagine a beautiful enclosure with a waterfall or some other source of running water for these roaches, but this would be out of my budget right now. :(  But I keep your suggestions in mind, and perhaps in the future I can make a semi-aquatic display. :)

@Hisserdude is the problem with the standing water was your own experience or did you read it somewhere? I'm only asking because if it's in a book or paper I would love to read it, I'm always trying to learn new things about insects. And if it is your own experience, then thanks a lot for sharing this valuable information! :) 

Well from what I've read from various sources, most semi-aquatic Epilamprids are found near streams, haven't heard of any being found near standing water, (though I'm sure there are a few such species). Someone on Bugguide mentions that Epilampra maya get sick when given standing water, I feel like I also read something similar somewhere else, but I'm blanking at the moment...

• Like 1

Actually you can go to Walmart and get an inexpensive in tank filter that will run in a few inches of water. They are a little bigger than a small drink cup. They have an internal pump that sucks up water and it flows out the top like a water fall. You could place a slanted rock or two user it to get a riffle effect. You could do the same idea as I mentioned just would need a larger dish. Or you can fill the bottom with a layer of rock or gravel and keep the whole tank full of a few inches of water. The latter might prove harder to maintain with roaches. You’d be surprised the deals you can find of people selling used aquarium supplies on Craigslist. I love habitat design

• Like 1