Periplaneta australasiae (Australian Cockroach)

Xenoblatta

Hey friends,

I've been breeding these since some time ago... Is the first Periplaneta species I've ever kept and I'm in love with them :-)

The overpopulation in my colony works pretty well as occasional feeders... 

Periplaneta_australasiae_0001_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0000_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0003_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0012_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0007_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0008_Xenoblatta

Ñom! She likes potatoes :wub:

Periplaneta_australasiae_0005_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0013_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0010_Xenoblatta

• Like 5

On 1/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, Xenoblatta said:

Hey friends,

I've been breeding these since some time ago... Is the first Periplaneta species I've ever kept and I'm in love with them :-)

The overpopulation in my colony works pretty well as occasional feeders... 

Periplaneta_australasiae_0001_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0000_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0003_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0012_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0007_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0008_Xenoblatta

Ñom! She likes potatoes :wub:

Periplaneta_australasiae_0005_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0013_Xenoblatta

Periplaneta_australasiae_0010_Xenoblatta

You have amazing taste in roaches, too bad @Hisserdude is so uncultured. :P

Any other Periplaneta species planned? Periplaneta americana, are a good choice if you want a bolder roach species. And of course there are other less common ones.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

@Hisserdude is so uncultured. :P

Hey hey, Periplaneta americana used to be my favorite animals on this planet, and I still love how they look! I just don't want to keep them, that's all. :P

• Like 1

These pictures remind me of a story my boss told me. He was having a horrible time getting rid of a P. americana infestation. So finally he decided to go down into this old houses crawl space. Inside he found a forgotten stash of dozens of pounds of potatoes harvested two years prior. With thousands of roaches tunneled all through them.

• Like 1

Errbody knows @Hisserdude is total roach gangster.  Hiss 4 life dawg!

A narcoleptic classmate of mine wondered for about a year why he had a bad gnat problem.  He fogged his apartment multiple times to no avail.  Then Thanksgiving came and he opened the oven and found... the turkey he cooked last year.  :o  

Oh, beautiful photos @Xenoblatta

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marlon said:

Errbody knows @Hisserdude is total roach gangster.  Hiss 4 life dawg!

A narcoleptic classmate of mine wondered for about a year why he had a bad gnat problem.  He fogged his apartment multiple times to no avail.  Then Thanksgiving came and he opened the oven and found... the turkey he cooked last year.  :o  

LOL! :lol:

Also, that's pretty gross, did he not smell the turkey lmao? I mean, if the flies can find their way out of the oven, so should the odor of rotting flesh...

On 12/1/2018 at 5:01 PM, Tleilaxu said:

You have amazing taste in roaches, too bad @Hisserdude is so uncultured. :P

Any other Periplaneta species planned? Periplaneta americana, are a good choice if you want a bolder roach species. And of course there are other less common ones.

Hahahaha!! Well, I will try to get all species of Periplaneta I can, but I'm specially crazy for those Periplaneta americana "White Eyes"... :)

Nice pictures; I love keeping Periplaneta.  In general americana are my favorite but australasiae are a close second. They seem like the Americans sleeker, more athletic cousin. Lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vfox said:

Nice pictures; I love keeping Periplaneta.  In general americana are my favorite but australasiae are a close second. They seem like the Americans sleeker, more athletic cousin. Lol

I also found them to be more out going.

@Hisserdude it's the fact that you don't keep them, that makes you uncultured. :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

@Hisserdude it's the fact that you don't keep them, that makes you uncultured. :P

4 hours ago, vfox said:

Cmon @Hisserdude, become "one of us, one of us, one of us!" 

No, never! :lol: I have Dorylaea orini, the adults of that species look very much like shorter, stouter P.australasiae to be fair! :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

infest your house as much as other Periplanetas!

This is exactly what keeps me from getting P.australasiae!!! Not *as likely* to infest your house. :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

You should get some Periplaneta brunnea! They are pretty and aren't likely to infest your house as much as other Periplanetas!

Those look nice, however the only Periplaneta species I have any interest in breeding are P.japonica and P.americana "White-Eye x Black".

Even those I'm doubtful of keeping though, my mom would go BALLISTIC if we had a roach infestation, that's the one restriction on roaches she's given me, nothing that infests houses. And I wouldn't be too thrilled about an infestation either TBH.

To be fair, the chance of getting a Periplaneta infestation in Idaho is probably nonexistent, I've never seen any up here, probably too arid. But I'm not sure it's worth the risk...

Up north here in Pennsylvania there is commonly only 4 pest species, Periplaneta americana, Blatta orientalis, Blattella germanica and Supella longipalpa. The only one that really lives in homes beyond the odd damp basement or boiler room is Blattella germanica. So other than keeping them there is little concern of infestation. I've kept most of the known Periplaneta species over the part 6 or 7 years and never once felt concerned. I wish I started with them like 10 years ago when I first started keeping roaches. Lol. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vfox said:

Up north here in Pennsylvania there is commonly only 4 pest species, Periplaneta americana, Blatta orientalis, Blattella germanica and Supella longipalpa. The only one that really lives in homes beyond the odd damp basement or boiler room is Blattella germanica. So other than keeping them there is little concern of infestation. I've kept most of the known Periplaneta species over the part 6 or 7 years and never once felt concerned. I wish I started with them like 10 years ago when I first started keeping roaches. Lol. 

Exactly, they aren't as robust as the hype portrays them. I've never seen them up north.

I doubt the Australian roaches could even survive long term outside their cages in more northern states, unless there were mitigating circumstances, like a greenhouse or many potted plants for example...

@All About Insects You will be fine, unless you deliberately try to assist them outside their cages lol.