Periplaneta americana finds

vfox

I work at a small pet store on the weekends and someone mentioned they found a "big roach" on a glue board in the back fish room. I went to check it out and found an adult male Periplaneta americana stuck lightly to the glue. I removed him and an adult female from another, both suffering leg loss from being removed but not worse for it. The nymphs were found under buckets and other things. A total of 4 adults 2.2 and at least 5 nymphs. I'll be going into the back room periodically to collect more and to help remove them from the store as the pest control company is not allowed to use pesticides inside. These are also my first wild caught, non-pesticide ridden Americans. But they will be kept separate from my existing colony for 2 weeks before being introduced into them.  (just in case) 

20180113_184117.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice. I would keep them separate. If only to see if there are any differences between the two stocks. I never understood glue boards in a pet store. Is really worth catching a had full of occasional invaders to risk catching an expensive escapee lizard or snake? They say you can remove them but not before inflicting damage. There are typically safe places to use pesticides in a pet store without causing issues. Employee breakrooms, utility rooms the outside perimeter. There shouldn’t be pets kept in these areas. If you guys have a service with a professional company be aware he could be using cockroach bait. I wish I could find some of those 

4 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

Very nice. I would keep them separate. If only to see if there are any differences between the two stocks. I never understood glue boards in a pet store. Is really worth catching a had full of occasional invaders to risk catching an expensive escapee lizard or snake? They say you can remove them but not before inflicting damage. There are typically safe places to use pesticides in a pet store without causing issues. Employee breakrooms, utility rooms the outside perimeter. There shouldn’t be pets kept in these areas. If you guys have a service with a professional company be aware he could be using cockroach bait. I wish I could find some of those 

I was in pest control for 5 years, there isn't a safe place for pesticides in the building. We sell lots of invertebrates and if one entered a terrarium with -say- a N. chromatus and transfered the insecticide we'd be pretty unhappy. Lol. Glue boards and pitfall traps are the safest options for control. We cannot dry the humid and damp fish room to gain control either. If I find enough I'm sure I will have a booming colony again shortly, lol.