Schizopilia fissicollis

stanislas

I came up with a new food idea:
Grinded, dried partially decomposed oak leaves mixed with pulverized dried grasshoppers. Made a paste of that and put that on one of the bark pieces. 
At least some of the Schizopilia roaches seem to eat from it... I'll keep an eye on it to see how much they eat it. 
My Archimandrita tesselata roaches devoured at once when I presented it to them :) 

• Like 1

Third roach molted into adulthood! Seems like it's going fast here. I'm curious how long it will take to get babies... 

Schizopilia_fissicollis_9s.jpg

• Like 1

A time lapse movies of their nightly activity.  If you look careful, you can see one roach molting into adulthood and one nymph getting into the next instar. 

• Like 4

They were collected in Mitaraka, French Guiana and send to Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle in Paris. Nicolas Rousseaux (active here on the forum as well) obtained them from them in an agreement to return the adult specimen for the museum collection. 

http://www.laplaneterevisitee.org/en/219/home
http://www.mnhn.fr/en/research-expertise/scientific-expeditions/our-planet-reviewed/guiana-2014-2015

Map, with Mitaraka at the bottom: 

Carte_de_la_Guyane_francaise_572_eng.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Everyone, 

Indeed, the first Schizopilia were collected in Mitaraka, French Guiana. I've been in touch with the Museum since 2016, and contributed to their research by giving a large amount of individuals from diferent species. 

Later, the contacted me about this species. The F1 generation was close to be adults but there were no research planned for them, so they were not planning to keep them and asked me if I wanted to receive them. The only thing I've seen about them was a black and white illustration without scale... You can imagine how crazy I was when I saw that pronotum! 

The terms were defined so both the Museum and I could get interesting stuff: the whole group was given to me, and I was charged to introduce them in the hobby, so in case of need, the Museum can easily find some in captivity. All the dead specimens from the F1 were pinned, and it was decided they had to get back to the Museum's collection. 
I'm now starting to sell them (and will strat to sell some again in a few months), and most of the pinned animals are back to them. 

I also received a Blattidae from the Philippines from the Museum, here is the link (you can also scroll on the page and you'll find more topic about Schizopilia): 

And the pined animals, ready to get back to the MNHN collection: 

Best regards, 

Nicolas

• Like 4

9 hours ago, stanislas said:

Adult roach: 

God those adults are stunning, I really hope they make their way to the US soon! :D

9 hours ago, stanislas said:

Same adult roach with cross polarization filters (removes all reflection): 

Woah, that looks weird, kinda like it's been submerged in water or something!

9 hours ago, Test Account said:

I like the appearance of adult discroach species so much. They somehow all look like caped vampires in an aesthetically pleasing way. :)

I know right? They have a very appealing, sleek appearance that I love! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The guys here start messing around. Seems to be some conflicts in their tank. I presume it's about the ladies....
Hopefully that means that in some not too far future, some offspring will appear :)

• Like 1