Coir precautions

Test Account

I have a strong feeling that I will be able to finally get some coco coir soon.

Are there any things I should be particularly aware of before getting it? I have heard that it absorbs a ton of water and a little makes a lot. I do have the bad feeling that this means it may shrink on my tenebrionids, who only get water in the form of fruitegtables.

I got the 10lb block on Amazon (made in India) and use a saw to cut small chunks off.  It expands because it is mechanically compressed for shipment, but it doesn't shrink that much when it dries.  Like those little towels for children that come compressed into some entertaining shape, but add water and it turns into a regular cheap hand towel.  For some reason I feel the compulsion to add sphagnum peat to it.  Mine has a few small twigs and weed seeds in it, no big deal.

Hmmm.  I think my twigs might have been in the peat now that I think about it.  However some Amazon reviews also reported a stray twig and some sprouts.  If I see another sprout maybe I'll replant it and see what it is.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MOD2HY

c0c0 block.jpg

40 minutes ago, Marlon said:

Hmmm.  I think my twigs might have been in the peat now that I think about it.  However some Amazon reviews also reported a stray twig and some sprouts.  If I see another sprout maybe I'll replant it and see what it is. 

Hm. If any sprouts do manage to pop up in my future coir cages, I expect the Coniontis to eat them, no big deal. :)