Simandoa conserfariam (Extinct in the wild roach)

Hisserdude

So, right before Christmas, my mom bought a few Simandoa conserfariam nymphs as a gift for me from @Peter Clausen from BugsInCyberspace. She decided to use Priority mail instead of express however, despite the rather cold weather, and even with a heat pack, all 8 of the roaches Peter sent arrived very dead looking, presumably because of the extended trip through the cold. :/ I didn't throw them out right away though, as I had a faint hope that after warming up a bit, they may revive themselves.

Well, a couple days passed, and some of them had started twitching erratically, they didn't really have full control of their motions, but it was something. Fast forward about a week, and all but three of the roaches died off completely. The three that remained slowly regained their complete bodily functions, and started eating and drinking again. All three have successfully molted in my care now, so I think they are in the clear! :D A surprising but very pleasant end to the situation! I've got one half grown nymph, which is a male, and two small nymphs I can't sex yet.

Anyway, here are some pictures of them, (mostly of the large male really, since he's the easiest to photograph):

SimandoaXmas2017%25232.JPG

Simandoa%25237.JPG

Simandoa%252310.JPG

Simandoa%252313.JPG

Simandoa%252321.JPG

Simandoa%252315.JPG

Simandoa%252317.JPG

They are so pretty, especially with that slight iridescent sheen! :D

• Like 1

Amazing that they were able to recover after so long being down.  That's a good lesson!  They are beautiful.  Really surprising story.

Along those lines, I was humbled recently by one of my rabbits; she got in a bad fight and got torn up really bad.  I could see exposed toe bones and a large section of thigh muscle.  She lost a lot of fur and it was below freezing every night.    Wound dripping with puss, I could see muscle tissue and tendon drying out due to contact with the winter air. Time to put her down. But, I didn't have time that moment and she was one of the prettiest little girls I've had, so I put her in a cage and she ate heartily.  I thought she would succumb to infection, but to my surprise, over a period of 6 weeks, she's managed to make a miraculous recovery with no antibiotics.  Animals (including roaches) are amazing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marlon said:

Amazing that they were able to recover after so long being down.  That's a good lesson!  They are beautiful.  Really surprising story.

Along those lines, I was humbled recently by one of my rabbits; she got in a bad fight and got torn up really bad.  I could see exposed toe bones and a large section of thigh muscle.  She lost a lot of fur and it was below freezing every night.    Wound dripping with puss, I could see muscle tissue and tendon drying out due to contact with the winter air. Time to put her down. But, I didn't have time that moment and she was one of the prettiest little girls I've had, so I put her in a cage and she ate heartily.  I thought she would succumb to infection, but to my surprise, over a period of 6 weeks, she's managed to make a miraculous recovery with no antibiotics.  Animals (including roaches) are amazing.

I know, I totally thought they were gonners, can't believe these three pulled through! :)

Yikes, sorry to hear that happened to your poor rabbit, glad she's recovering though! I'm always amazed when mammals and birds make recoveries like that, since they lack the ability to molt and regenerate like invertebrates do!

1 hour ago, Marlon said:

It seems like the ability to survive being "dead" is a natural result of insect physiology, and not necessarily the result of "toughness". Even termite alates, which die in enormous numbers every time they swarm (and thus are pretty much disposable lottery tickets for the colony), are perfectly capable of walking around normally after being unconscious in the pool for a while if allowed to sit for several hours.

Same thing with decapitation. "Those nasty roaches are so tough, they can live 10 days without a head!"

Let's not forget that pretty much all insects can do this more or less, even butterflies.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Test Account said:

It seems like the ability to survive being "dead" is a natural result of insect physiology, and not necessarily the result of "toughness".

Very true! Though you gotta admit, these three had to have been pretty dang tough, seeing as the other 5 nymphs died!

30 minutes ago, Randomjoe said:

Glad to hear three survived hope at least one is a female and they breed for you.

Thanks, I hope so too! :) Will probably be trading with a friend for another small group of nymphs anyway though, just in case!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, vfox said:

Awesome! These are on my "want some day but can't stomach the price right now" list. Lol Get them breeding and sell me some. XD

Well they aren't all that expensive TBH, BIC was selling them for like $6 per nymph. :) Maybe I'm just too used to paying $10-25 per nymph for some of the more expensive species though lol! :lol: