First grain mites woohoo.

Matttoadman

So my pile of oats in the corner of my red runner bin looked weird. I looked down at it and it was churning. Thousands of grain mites had turned yesterday’s oats into crumbles. I had them on coco fiber with oak leaves and bark. But now it’s boring egg cartons sigh.

Just offer much less oats, and maybe dry the enclosure out for a week or two to get rid of what grain mites still remain. 

Man they were crazy. It’s the first time I have had them in my two plus years of roach keeping. These red runners have been a challenge. First they were too dry, so I bumped the humidity and the babies came. Of course so did the grain mites. It seems there is a delicate balance in some species between heat, humidity and failure.

13 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

Man they were crazy. It’s the first time I have had them in my two plus years of roach keeping. These red runners have been a challenge. First they were too dry, so I bumped the humidity and the babies came. Of course so did the grain mites. It seems there is a delicate balance in some species between heat, humidity and failure.

Yeah, huge grain mite infestations really gross me out, especially when the infested food is churning with them... :blink:

Hope you can get it all worked out, increasing ventilation helps with keeping their in numbers down, even in humid cages, ultimately reducing the amount of grain based foods you feed to your red runners in one sitting is what's going to help the most though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If possible provide a dry corner in the enclosure in which you provide dry food. Preferably near a ventilation hole/spot. Roaches can walk longer distances than those mites. The latter will have a harder time traveling between moist and dry spots. 
And I dislike feeding oats for the mites that will inevitable will come along....