Porcellio scaber "Lottery ticket"

MooreInverts

Around this time last year I got my first isopods from Captive Isopoda. I started with 20+ mixed P. scaber "Lottery ticket", a nifty idea where you get a random assortment of non-visual isopods from experimental cultures. They may or may not come with recessives for other genes, and what you get is a mystery! If you're into isolating for morphs or want a nifty display colony, these guys are great. I started with a mix of grey, dalmatian, orange, orange dalmatian, and one calico. Early on, I ended up with my first new morph, some lovely orange pieds! They're hard to get pictures of but I think this one's decent. They're much larger now and I can still recognize my original isopods. They're doing very well and it's fun waiting to see what they'll make next.

Second picture is a little blurry, but you can clearly see the difference between an orange pied and a normal orange. It's pretty neat, each one has a different amount of white that increases as they age. The pied markings are much softer looking than the crisp spots of a dalmatian.

I also just realized the mass of at least four orange isopods camouflaged in the upper right hole in the cork bark, that's so neat. I ended up with tons of oranges so I'll likely isolate them sometime and see if they have any hidden recessives...I have no idea what's actually making these orange pieds, maybe it's them, so it'll be a fun project to see if it is.

tumblr_p5b7qxVtgi1w48xj7o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p5b7qxVtgi1w48xj7o3_1280.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

You should try the 1997 calico stock for unique variability. The lottery ticket it the old 1997 orange stock crossed with the 2012 dalmatian stock though I have no idea if the gray are an off product of the two or were thrown in with them. ?

Does the 1997 Calico stock only express in females? Alan's Calico P.scaber morph only expresses in females, males are plain grey. 

12 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

No, it is not sexed linked in this stock.  The calico stock has very few gray individuals and never a solid gray one. Sometimes it throws clears and yellows.

Huh, very good to know! :)

• 1 month later...