Pseudoglomeris (Corydidarum) magnifica

stanislas

I managed to make some photographs of my new roaches: Corydidarum magnifica. 
The nymphs are still quite small (8mm / 0.31inch) and I took the photographs through the glass of their tank, so the quality isn't optimal. 

02.jpg

01.jpg

• Like 5

So far it looks like Corydidarum magnifica is mostly active during the day, and much less at night (diurnality). They often wander over objects, making them quite visible. 
I wonder if their shiny colors and looks are a kind of mimicry for some kind of foul tasting beetle in their natural habitat? 

corydidarum_activity.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stanislas said:

So far it looks like Corydidarum magnifica is mostly active during the day, and much less at night (diurnality). They often wander over objects, making them quite visible. 
I wonder if their shiny colors and looks are a kind of mimicry for some kind of foul tasting beetle in their natural habitat? 

corydidarum_activity.png

Supposedly they and a few relatives feed on pollen and such in nature, so it makes sense they are diurnal and so brightly colored. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Supposedly they and a few relatives feed on pollen and such in nature, so it makes sense they are diurnal and so brightly colored. 

That explains why they 'wander' around so much. 
I'm quite happy with this behavior, as it at least allows me to admire them :) It would have been pretty boring if they behaved as a Polyphaga roach ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stanislas said:

That explains why they 'wander' around so much. 
I'm quite happy with this behavior, as it at least allows me to admire them :) It would have been pretty boring if they behaved as a Polyphaga roach ;) 

Yeah, I've heard they really love artificial pollen in captivity, (though apples and such seem to work just fine). 

I just remembered though, Corydidarum pygmaea nymphs do wander around a lot if humidity levels aren't to their liking... Don't know if the same holds true for C.magnifica or not. 

6 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, I've heard they really love artificial pollen in captivity, (though apples and such seem to work just fine). 

I just remembered though, Corydidarum pygmaea nymphs do wander around a lot if humidity levels aren't to their liking... Don't know if the same holds true for C.magnifica or not. 

Artificial pollen? I looked it how to make it yourself. I might give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion! 

I believe the moisture should be ok. There are dry and moist parts in the terrarium they're in. They mostly reside in the somewhat drier parts. Their wandering around isn't in a restless way. Rather they take their time. Nibble here and there, wait, walk and get back into hiding. 

• Like 1

I've made a time lapse of their activity. It's rather low quality, but one can see how they move around (albeit at 125x their actual speed).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, stanislas said:

Artificial pollen? I looked it how to make it yourself. I might give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion! 

I believe the moisture should be ok. There are dry and moist parts in the terrarium they're in. They mostly reside in the somewhat drier parts. Their wandering around isn't in a restless way. Rather they take their time. Nibble here and there, wait, walk and get back into hiding. 

No problem, happy to help! :)

And OK, that's a relief! By the time-lapse footage you provided, it definitely looks like more typical exploring behavior than stressful wandering. 

Today I found a Corydidarum roach walking on my son! I must admit that I was a bit flabbergasted... I still do not understand how it came to walk there. How did it escape? 
I can only reason that it must have escaped before I put them in their enclosure. I checked for holes larger than 1 mm, but found none. And the silicon grease barrier it intact. So far I haven't any seen walking over that grease layer. 
None the less I dismantled their habitat so check and count them all. I could find 9 out of 10, but it could very well be that one escaped my sight and remained hidden (I did not toss up the substrate). 
Next I thought I saw a deceased one... My heart missed a beat, but it turned out to be a shed skin. Breathing calmly again! 
Even their skins are beautiful, so I wanted to share a picture: 

cory_skin.jpg

• Like 1

Huh, how tight fitting is their lid? 

Yeah Corydidarum don't really eat their sheds at all, so you'll be finding "dead" individuals quite often! :P

15 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Huh, how tight fitting is their lid? 

Yeah Corydidarum don't really eat their sheds at all, so you'll be finding "dead" individuals quite often! :P

It's an all metal lid. I think I haven't looked very well when I put them in de cage. Probably in my excitement I overlooked one.... Well, it's back were it should be (and stay) :)

Ah, so I can make a funky 70's glitter costume after a while :lol:

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 7:50 AM, stanislas said:

It's an all metal lid. I think I haven't looked very well when I put them in de cage. Probably in my excitement I overlooked one.... Well, it's back were it should be (and stay) :)

Ah, so I can make a funky 70's glitter costume after a while :lol:

OK, well I hope all 10 are in there now, you're so lucky your son found that one escapee lol! :lol: 

Yes, if you really wanted to lol! :P The exoskeletons are pretty thick and sturdy, so they won't decompose easily! 

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, these are now Pseudoglomeris magnifica LMOA, Corydidarum and Trichoblatta are now synonyms of Pseudoglomeris

On 4/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, Chimera said:

Oh my goodness, what beautiful roaches! I didn't know that particular Corydidarum species had been cultured yet. They look like little gemstones! @stanislas Where the heck did you get them from?

I got them from Nicolas Rousseaux (also member here on the forum). He lives quiet close to where I live. I don't know where he got them from. I assume from someone from Germany. 
And they are indeed beautiful!

On 4/19/2018 at 9:36 PM, Hisserdude said:

BTW, these are now Pseudoglomeris magnifica LMOA, Corydidarum and Trichoblatta are now synonyms of Pseudoglomeris

And I just got used to 'Corydidarum' ... :) 
Where did you get that info? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanislas said:

I got them from Nicolas Rousseaux (also member here on the forum). He lives quiet close to where I live. I don't know where he got them from. I assume from someone from Germany. 
And they are indeed beautiful!

I've got to add them to my wishlist! Imagine a big display tank with a ton of them, and dark decor to make their beauty stand out! :D

I guess European hobbyists can't generally ship into the US though, huh?

46 minutes ago, Chimera said:

I've got to add them to my wishlist! Imagine a big display tank with a ton of them, and dark decor to make their beauty stand out! :D

I guess European hobbyists can't generally ship into the US though, huh?

The cool thing is that there are day-active... 
Aren't they in the US?

2 hours ago, stanislas said:

And I just got used to 'Corydidarum' ... :) 
Where did you get that info? 

http://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/view/zootaxa.4410.2.2

9 minutes ago, stanislas said:

Aren't they in the US?

I only know of one keeper who might have had a single adult female, but I don't know if he had success breeding them, so it seems like they are absent from the US hobby ATM. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

http://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/view/zootaxa.4410.2.2

I only know of one keeper who might have had a single adult female, but I don't know if he had success breeding them, so it seems like they are absent from the US hobby ATM. 

Thank for chipping in, Hisserdude! I've never seen any for sale in the US, but hopefully they'll find their way into the US hobby soon!

11 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Thank for chipping in, Hisserdude! I've never seen any for sale in the US, but hopefully they'll find their way into the US hobby soon!

I hope so too! There was another breeder here who had a much larger amount of P.magnifica, sadly his colony crashed. Pseudoglomeris, and really just Perisphaerinae in general aren't the easiest of roaches to culture unfortunately.