Breeding isopods for size?

Chimera

So I have recently become more interested in isopods. In particular, selective breeding of isopods. It seems that many people culture and isolate morphs, all to do with color or patterning. However, I can find absolutely zero information of the concept of breeding isopods for (bigger) size.

Is there an obvious obstacle to this? Perhaps not enough size variability within species to select parents?

Because, I don't know about you, but I think a 3-inch isopod would be absolutely incredible! :D 

Any links or info would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I'm just coming into this hobby and don't know much about isopod genetics... So sorry if this is a stupid question!

I'm not sure they really can be bred for size, isopod size seems to correlate directly with available space and hides. Big, bustling colonies have average sized to small mature specimens, while smaller, frequently culled populations with lots more hides and surface area available get much larger. At least, this is what I've observed with most of the isopod species I've kept. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

I'm not sure they really can be bred for size, isopod size seems to correlate directly with available space and hides. Big, bustling colonies have average sized to small mature specimens, while smaller, frequently culled populations with lots more hides and surface area available get much larger. At least, this is what I've observed with most of the isopod species I've kept. 

Thanks for your reply! So what I'm gathering from that is that size isn't necessarily genetic? So selective breeding would be useless, it would be more effective to simply give individuals lots of space to grow? (As I said, a newbie here, so I just want to make sure I understand.)

EDIT: For that matter, do genetics play a big part in roach size? I have so much to learn...

Also, do you happen to know of any good sources for learning about the basics of isopod genetics? I really want to know more, but I don't know where to start.

22 hours ago, Chimera said:

Thanks for your reply! So what I'm gathering from that is that size isn't necessarily genetic? So selective breeding would be useless, it would be more effective to simply give individuals lots of space to grow? (As I said, a newbie here, so I just want to make sure I understand.)

EDIT: For that matter, do genetics play a big part in roach size? I have so much to learn...

Also, do you happen to know of any good sources for learning about the basics of isopod genetics? I really want to know more, but I don't know where to start.

I mean it's possible there are certain strains of certain species that may get larger than others, but for the most part size has been related to space in all isopod species I've kept, not genes. 

Roaches can also be stunted in size once colonies get bigger, however I think there's more proof that genes have an effect on size with them. 

Not really, I don't know all that much about isopod genes myself TBH. 

31 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I mean it's possible there are certain strains of certain species that may get larger than others, but for the most part size has been related to space in all isopod species I've kept, not genes. 

Roaches can also be stunted in size once colonies get bigger, however I think there's more proof that genes have an effect on size with them. 

Not really, I don't know all that much about isopod genes myself TBH. 

Ah, okay. Maybe I can get my library to purchase Orin's isopod book.

Hmm, so what you're saying is it may be possible to breed cat-size hissers.... :P Kidding, though that would be kind of amazing.

1 hour ago, Chimera said:

Ah, okay. Maybe I can get my library to purchase Orin's isopod book.

Hmm, so what you're saying is it may be possible to breed cat-size hissers.... :P Kidding, though that would be kind of amazing.

Haha I wish, unfortunately the oxygen levels on this planet are way too low to support terrestrial invertebrates that large. :lol:

On 4/20/2018 at 6:55 PM, Hisserdude said:

Haha I wish, unfortunately the oxygen levels on this planet are way too low to support terrestrial invertebrates that large. :lol:

Ah, is that the only obstacle? *rubs hands together while chuckling evilly*

14 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

Isopods are very different from roaches because an adult continues to grow after sexual maturity; there is no ultimate molt.

That's a good point... I would have to wait for them to be fully grown before I could identify the largest specimens and breed them, even though they can produce young much earlier. Thanks for your feedback!