Blaberus giganteus "Honduras"wildtype

wizentrop

It might not be hot news, but I thought I'd share a new cockroach that I started breeding. Even when it comes to mainstream species, I always prefer to work with wildtypes (meaning strains that originated from known, wild populations) because I feel there is often too much mixing and hybridizing in the arthropod hobby, leading to weaker captive populations.
Nymphs of this roach were collected in a small Honduran cave as an unidentified "Blaberus sp.". It appears to be a variety of Blaberus giganteus, with wide black banding and a darker color tone. Adults begin as white individuals but very quickly turn orange.
The funny thing is that I never planned to keep B. giganteus. I avoided them due to their bad reputation - low tolerance for crowding and cannibalism. But this strain seems to be ok with it, I still have all the original adults sharing the space with hundreds of nymphs, and while their wings are no longer intact (well, they use them for courtship after all), they are still kicking. They seem to be very hardy.

Blaberus-sp-Honduras-1.jpg

Blaberus-sp-Honduras.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 11:19 AM, wizentrop said:

I always prefer to work with wildtypes (meaning strains that originated from known, wild populations) because I feel there is often too much mixing and hybridizing in the arthropod hobby, leading to weaker captive populations.

...I think exactly the same, if I can get a wild-caught breeding group (...much preferred to collect by myself) I feel much safer.

It would be great if breeders start to name the cultures to avoid to mix them with others "of the same species" ...you know what I mean ? 

Great job!!