How do your roaches get moisture?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do your roaches get moisture?

• Water Crystals
    • Misting
    • Fresh Fruit/Vegetables
    • Varies week by week
    • Other (please post)

It depends on the number of roaches in the colony and what kind of container they are kept in. Ventilation plays a role in how often the habitat requires misting, in combination with temperature. In my large 50 gallon hisser aquarium, I lightly mist the roaches and also use a shallow water dish (currently a deli cup lid, upside down). I refill it every other day or so. I'm careful not to mist the substrate or dry pet food too much. I imagine many get their liquids from the fruits and veggies I put in. Roaches with a hard cuticle seem to be more resistant to drying out.

In small tupperware bins I use, I have very few holes for ventilation and only mist when the substrate seems bone dry. I imagine these roaches maintain their hydration through the lack of ventiliation in combination with the fruits and veggies.

Peter

To supply water to my roaches (and crickets) I fill a babyfood jar with water and cover it with a larger jar lid lined with several layers of paper towel. Then I turn the whole thing upside down and it functions like a mini-chicken waterer. The roaches drink the water from the wet paper towel which stays wet until all of the water is gone.

To supply water to my roaches (and crickets) I fill a babyfood jar with water and cover it with a larger jar lid lined with several layers of paper towel. Then I turn the whole thing upside down and it functions like a mini-chicken waterer. The roaches drink the water from the wet paper towel which stays wet until all of the water is gone.

That is really neat. I like that idea.

For my soon to be roaches, I plan to use water crystals. I ordered a load of water crystals, because I was wanting to use them in the barn to keep down dust(as claimed by Ramm Fence Co.). I hope it works for both the roaches and the dust.

• 3 weeks later...

I just use a dampened sponge. A large piece that is about 3" x 2" x 1" or so. I keep it wet as possible. Occasionally, I mist the substrate.

I really like the "psuedo chicken-waterer" idea. That would be very handy on the weekends and holidays. Oh yeah, keeping the roaches is part of my job!

Tina :D