Do isopods require dead tree leaves?

Aphaenogaster

I'm wondering whether or not most isopod species require leaf litter for survival. It's difficult to get a hold of pesticide-free leaves where I am. If not, what are some good replacements, in terms of a staple food source?

Thanks!

- Conor

Yes they need them but they can be replaced by kelp or algae sheets. Hope this helps!

Are you sure that they need leaf litter? I have raised several colonies of isopods (backyard isopods :) ) with no leaf litter and they did just fine. They did have some moss though...

By the way, where can you get kelp sheets at?

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/46452-how-i-culture-woodlice-isopods.html

I have used this method for dwarf whites as well as dwarf striped. it may not be the most productive it is very easy and leaves are not required. i am not sure how applicable it would be for larger species.

http://www.dendroboa...sopods.html Â

I have used this method for dwarf whites as well as dwarf striped. it may not be the most productive it is very easy and leaves are not required. i am not sure how applicable it would be for larger species.

The link doesn't work for me. Do you need to be a logged in member?

• 3 months later...

Will Eco Earth (coconut fiber) fulfill this requirement? Also are there certain species of leaves they like best? I currently have EE, oak & some random bark in my Spanish Orange habitat (plus added crushed oyster powder & egg shells) and in my "yardopods" (unknown species from my yard) have moss, dirt from where we found them with some dead grape leaves and the added calcium mentioned above as well as oak & random bark.

Also, what is with the toilet paper rolls? Is that for hiding, for eating?

Should I be providing other food sources? I have tried carrots & they went seemingly untouched. I tried a piece of over-ripe banana and it turned to mush and is attracting fruit flies.

Sorry for all the questions; I am very new to the hobby and am trying to raise & breed them for my hermit crabs. I do have some algae sheets (for the crabs) so maybe I will try those!

• 1 year later...