Looking for an opaque, smooth-walled plastic tub, with a gasket

Howdy everyone,

I'm replacing the aquariums I have my colonies in with plastic tubs. I have 2" roundvents to provide ventilation, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for tubs that are opaque,smooth walled, and preferably have a gasketed lid?

I'm having a hard time finding such a container.

I might have to forego the gaskets..this is for E.distanti and a colony of B.boliviensis.

What's the purpose of having a gasketed lid with a roach enclosure? I'm assuming It's to keep the lid secure and prevent escapes, but those two species are non climbing.

Most 20 or 30 gallon totes are just fine. I have noticed some sterilite totes aren't actually smooth. I have had dubia nymphs of all sizes climb the 30 gal sterilites. E. posticus wasn't able to climb it and I haven't tried using those totes with any Blaberus.

If you want something that can be stacked easily I'd recommend the sterilite 35 gal latch totes. Those are opaque, very smooth inside, and very durable. I've had them stacked 5 tall for months with no issues. Most other totes that size can only be stacked 2 or maybe 3 high. I think they also comes in 20ish gallons.

You shouldn't really worry with non-climbing species. There isn't much of a risk with escapes. The only time I have had escapees is while cleaning where having a secure lid wouldn't even matter anyway. However, I can understand wanting to play it safe since it would be a giant fustercluck if they found out you had roaches. I wouldn't recommend using layers of totes because it will be more expensive and you'll have to add proper ventilation to both of them. So they may just see rubbermaids but they'll also see vents which kinda ruins the illusion

Another alternative would be to use a vaseline barrier on the regular opaque ones. That's also a good way to keep ants out if you have problems with them like me.

The latch totes I mentioned have a very secure lid. Though not as tight as a gasket seal, I don't see how a non-climbing roach even has a snowball's chance in hell of getting out of it.

i also live in a duplex which no one but my family knows about the roaches, superworms, mealworms, hermit crabs, and bearded dragon. if anyone follows my posts i have natural setups that are either clear plastic or glass aquariums. when there is an inspection coming i always put everything that they can see like the natural setups in the closet and put something like my cats bed on top of the vent of my big dubia colony. the hermit crabs just sit out on the dresser because they are always hiding anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Dollar store, They don't have gaskets but they have nice,sturdy, hefty brand containers. They have clips on both sides, which give a decent seal. Also they are dark black tented. Dark enough to not disturb the roaches but just tented enough you can slightly see through. Multiple sizes as well.

I've gotten pretty paranoid..living in an apartment.

I decided to use clear gasket tubs and put them inside opaque tubs. That way the management company will just see Rubbermaids.

I had a vision reptile rack that I usd in an apt. It was handy because it was on wheels and could roll into a small closet when maintenance came. I also know some rattlesnake keepers in a pts that have had to get creative to hide there pets. Just wanted to give you an idea/option

• 2 weeks later...

My Solution

I bought weather stripping shown in the photo. It has a self-adhesive backing. I sliced it down the middle as it comes in two halves. I makes a good seal. Over time the stripping will tend to slide a bit but you can easily remove it and re-apply.

I used small clamps at the corners to keep the nymphs (escape artists) in. My top seemed to be a bit warped so the clamps helped. My tub is Sterlite with a band of Vaseline applied around the top. No problems so far.

post-2719-0-68719900-1407842132_thumb.jpg

post-2719-0-32651500-1407842151_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...