Gromphadorhina oblongonota or G. portentosa?

All these hissers came in the same container, but to me it appears that some are oblongata and some are portentosa. Could I get some second opinions? I want to get them into separate enclosures ASAP if needed. They are just pets and feeders, but I'd like to keep them separate anyway, although I realize it might be too late to prevent hybrids since they've been together already. I think the ones with the dots around the edges are portentosas - but is that a 100% definite way of differentiating them?

I think that G. portentosa might be able have big dark morphs. You might be able to tell if they are all the same species by differences in the horn structures in the males. :)

I wish I knew a 100% way to tell the difference. :lol:

Are you referring to the spiracles as dots aroung the edges?

Oh! well, I agree with what likebugs said, some of my portentosa's are very dark, almost black! I actually had wondered the same with my colony. I hope someone has more information for you.. zepher?? I will see if i can send him your way.. he is wonderful with this stuff! :)

What did you order?? the portentosa's?? Hope someone helps soon!!

I think I may have hybrids, which is OK with me since I'm not intentionally breeding them to put back into the hobby - I just have them as personal pets and feeders. Most of my dogs have been mutts, too. ;) From what I have been reading, it can be very difficult to tell the difference between some of the hissers because of the color variations even within the same species. So I will accept the uncertainty and just enjoy them...

I think I may have hybrids, which is OK with me since I'm not intentionally breeding them to put back into the hobby - I just have them as personal pets and feeders. Most of my dogs have been mutts, too. ;) From what I have been reading, it can be very difficult to tell the difference between some of the hissers because of the color variations even within the same species. So I will accept the uncertainty and just enjoy them...

There is nothing about the specimens in the photo you posted that even suggest the presence of G.oblongonota genes in your group. There are no white squares on the nymphs and no burgundy on the adults. Gromphadorina portentosa are often dark. There's no reason from that photo to even suggest you have a mixed batch.

There is nothing about the specimens in the photo you posted that even suggest the presence of G.oblongonota genes in your group. There are no white squares on the nymphs and no burgundy on the adults. Gromphadorina portentosa are often dark. There's no reason from that photo to even suggest you have a mixed batch.

Could you specify where on the roach these "white squares" can be found? Are they on the mesonotum and metanotum on oblongonota nymphs? :unsure: I am curious about a black and burgundy roach that used to be black and white. :mellow:

Edit: I misspelled the species name, I think? :rolleyes:

I have mutts of the arthropod and mammal variety too! I don't mind because they are my beloved pets. :lol:

Would you be able to post a photo of a nymph with the white squares?

Also, I have seen different spellings - oblongonata and oblongata - are they both used?

Edit: Oh, I just found a picture in google - is this an oblongonata nymph with the white squares?

Would you be able to post a photo of a nymph with the white squares?

Also, I have seen different spellings - oblongonata and oblongata - are they both used?

The photo you found is okay, the squares are on older nymphs. They all can have similar marking on small nymphs.

Neither are correct, it's only oblongonota, if someone spells your name wrong it's just wrong.

post-1908-0-89471500-1316885063_thumb.jpg Is this a G. oblongonota? I adopted him along with a G. portentosa from a pet store a while back. I got him as a sub subadult and he was all black and white at that time. At subadult he got a bit of dark red on the dorsal side of his abdominal segments and retained the white markings on his mesonotum and metanotum. As adult he lost the white marks and is black with a real dark red on his abdomenal segments, and he is huge.

post-1908-0-21932000-1316885769_thumb.jpg Here is a better pic. I am having a hard time uploading. :rolleyes:

Btw, sorry to hijack your post Nanchantress, but I have always been curious about this subject.

Your pictures were pretty big.. hard to tell, but from the little photo, without clicking to see it bigger it sure looks like G. O!

Your pictures were pretty big.. hard to tell, but from the little photo, without clicking to see it bigger it sure looks like G. O!

Sorry about that. I am not very good at photo sizing and computer stuff. I still get all proud of myself if I sucessfully send an email. :rolleyes:

And I love my roachie no matter what he is. His name is Blackmajick. :D

My photos seem to come out better and easier to view, when I upload them to my profile on http://www.insectgeeks.com/. There are also photos of Blackmajick when he was sub sub. Also, my profile pic there is of him as a subadult.

I have the same username there. Anyone is welcome to check out the photos of my pets there if they are interested. :)