Ergaula capucina

Here are some pics of my Burmese beetle mimic roaches!

Female:

E.cap%25236.JPG

E.cap%25238.JPG

E.cap%25239.JPG

Male (with the female in the background):

E.cap%252311.JPG

E.cap%252313.JPG

I also got some footage of the male courting the female, he ultimately failed, but it was still fun to watch. I'll try and upload it to youtube some time this week.

Yeah, he was just slowly following the female around, after I took the video he just sat on her for about 15 minutes before I put them back in their cage. :mellow:

I haven't seen them mate yet, but I'm sure they have.

• 2 months later...

One of my nymphs just matured into a nice big mature male, here's a picture of it while it is still hardening.

E.cap%252316.JPG

I love the orange-ish color on the pronotum, too bad it'll be dark brown in a few hours.

• 3 months later...

Nice pics. I had some of these a few years back, but mine had much less of the light markings.

All the best from Bill. :D

Thanks! Interesting, I wonder if they were E.pilosa?

Looking at the shape of the wing cases on your specimens compared to mine, I don't think that the two are the same species now you mention it.

Mall the best from Bill. :D

Yeah, Ergaula pilosa are darker and larger, and the males usually a dot of cream on their wings rather than a band.

• 2 months later...

Very nice!! Do you have hardwood leaves in with them? Are you feeding them dry dog food kibble and apple? Do you have an entire moist substrate with a dry surface? Do you have them at 75 F? Thanks! :)

Yep, I have a layer of dead leaves in the enclosure at all times, and I supplement them with dog food and carrots. I keep the whole substrate moist, and I let the top layer dry out sometimes. I keep them probably lower than that, I don't know the exact temps in my room but they are in the low 70s. :)

Yep, I have a layer of dead leaves in the enclosure at all times, and I supplement them with dog food and carrots. I keep the whole substrate moist, and I let the top layer dry out sometimes. I keep them probably lower than that, I don't know the exact temps in my room but they are in the low 70s. :)

Thanks! Just making sure I was keeping them correctly. :)