Hey :) I am Misa!

Misa_oma

Hello, I am new here. Made my account about a week or so ago and finally decided to say watsup! :)

I love anime, recently started cosplaying, and I own 2 ferrets and a cat who kills most insects that sneak in.

I recently found out the roach I caught a month ago is a Smoky Brown Roach after it molted into an adult. (Periplaneta fuliginosa) I have it in a 10gal tank right now but plan to move it into a more secure container in the future. Once I can finish off those pickles -.-

I have a question. Is the care for Smokey brown roach the same as an American cockroach since they are closely related? Is there any way to tell gender other than the styli? I am positive mine is a female :)

Does anyone have any experience or advice about them? Mine always is hiding and doesnt seem to eat much so I am wondering if its normal behavior.

Thanks you guys and nice to meet you all!

Yes they are very similar to american roaches and need the same care.

It's possible that she's 'sulking' because she's being kept alone, as many roaches are social and happier in groups, but then again this probably does not apply to all species and you often see roaches in this genus alone.

If you keep it warm and dark, it will be more active and eat more. Periplaneta interestingly will sometimes prey on other insects.

Welcome! :) I believe I saw your roach on bugguide, nice specimen, hope you can find a male for her! There are a lot of different roaches in the hobby right now, and I'll bet your collection will expand quite soon, this can be an addicting hobby! ;)

Welcome, I am sure that the Periplaneta fuliginosa you have there won't be your only roach species you will keep. If you wan't more Periplaneta fuliginosa then go to roachcrossing.com, they go for around $10 far a starter colony with the additional shipping. While your there, you can browse at the vast selection of roaches.

It is possible. I have seen her out more. Maybe her hiding was a nymph thing. I gave her a piece of cat food that I had soaked in water earlier today. I saw some pieces gone so thats exciting.

Hisserdude, it was. She looked a little weird when I saw her all white. I am assuming those bumps were her wings at the time. She darkened a bit more since the last photo. :)

I plan to get substrate for her and a heating pad when I can seeing as its getting much cooler at night. I have found a few species I would love to have next. Like the flat horn hisser and halloween hisser are probably next. It'll be quite fun to do :)

I plan to get some more of them in future. I just need to make sure the 10 gal is extra secure seeing as the lid is loose fitting and when babies start coming I dont want any escapees lol

P.fuliginosa can breed and live comfortably at room temperature, no extra heat is needed. Substrate can't hurt, coconut fiber is the best.

• 1 month later...

Alright thanks. I will be honest. At first I though she may have been a he. But I just found a Ootheca (spelled right?) in the tank. So far she is my only one and had her since a nymph so I know she hasn't mated yet. So I am keeping it in there just in case, since I read that they can be parthogenic (I hope I have that spelled right lol) any way to tell if they are fertile or not?

Some can be parthenogenic, so I would definitely hold on to that ootheca. If it is extremely tiny and or shriveled in appearance, then it is probably safe to assume that it is infertile.

I will have to look up how big they should be. It definitely isn't shriveled and I will say its pretty hard. I could tell by the feel of it.

I hope it does hatch. :)

Thanks for the help hisserdude. :)

By the way, do you spot clean your roach cages? I been wiping poop whenever there are large amounts. I use a wet tissue paper, no soap.

No, I don't. The only cage that I have that has a build up of poop is my Rhabdoblatta formosana, and I have a bunch of isopods in there that will hopefully eat the poop.