What do you do with all the roaches?

For example, the porcelain roach can have over 200 young per litter, what do you do with all of them? They don't exactly make good feeders, do they? What I am trying to say is, do roach colonies ever get out of hand?

As long as you have a decent sized enclosure, Gyna lurida should be fine. They have a TON of babies, but they are so small that a ton of them can fit into one enclosure. I doubt you would have any problem selling them either. Also, they don't live extremely long (like hissers do). I have some Gyna lurida in a 20 gallon vertical terrarium, and they don't seem to overcrowd it. I started with 13 teeny tiny babies a while ago and now I have about 50 in total. The colony doesn't seem to grow very fast either. The nymphs take a while to mature into adulthood. I have a huge leafy plant in my terrarium that the adults love to sit on during the day and bask in the warm lamp I have on top of the enclosure. One of the bad things though when you get a bunch of adults is that at about 10 or 11 at night, they start to fly like crazy all over the terrarium! I don't even bother mess with them at that time of the day.

Many species can get out of hand and then you risk colony collapse, but Gyna lurida is one of the few you could keep in a small bucket forever without problems (at least 20 years anyway).

That's impressive. How does this species avoid overcrowding? Do they just begin to reduce offspring number after they reach a certain population density?

• 1 month later...