Balta notulata

For real this time lol! :D

I have only ever gotten one decent picture of these elusive roaches, however today they were quite cooperative and I was able to get a few more OK pictures of this pretty species. :)

Young nymph (My camera has a really hard time photographing tiny inverts, so forgive me for the low quality pics):

Balta%25231.JPG

Balta%25232.JPG

Balta%25233.JPG

Balta%25234.JPG

Beautiful! Not bad pictures at all, these guys are tiny as babies, I believe.

All the best from Bill. :D

Thanks man, I appreciate it! :) And yes, they are tiny, only a few millimeters long right now.

These are like more attractive versions of Ectobius sp.

Kind of, yeah. I really like Ectobius too though, especially E.lucidus. These are much easier to culture though, which is nice since they are more attractive looking. :)

Kind of, yeah. I really like Ectobius too though, especially E.lucidus. These are much easier to culture though, which is nice since they are more attractive looking. :)

Huh, funny you bring up E. lucidus, I saw one for the first time today. Though my favorite would have to be E. lapponicus.

Huh, funny you bring up E. lucidus, I saw one for the first time today. Though my favorite would have to be E. lapponicus.

That's cool, next time you see one you should try to keep it, I don't think anyone has attempted to breed that specific species before.

Looks like these guys are doing great! Once they mature they produce tons of ooth so you'll be able to establish a large colony :)

Yeah, they are doing pretty well! :) That's good to hear, gotta love prolific species. Hopefully they'll do as well for me as they've done for you!

• 3 months later...

These guys are still doing well, they grow much slower than the other Ectobiids I have though.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the larger nymphs:

B.notulata%25231.JPG

B.notulata%25233.JPG

1 hour ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Ya, they tend to be quite slow when it comes to growth. Yours seem to be a little ahead of my culture though ;)

Well some of mine are getting pretty big, hopefully I'll see adults soon! :) Hope your culture does well too!

Great species and glad to see they're doing well! Hoping to nymphs once people have larger cultures and can spare a few :)

1 hour ago, pannaking22 said:

Great species and glad to see they're doing well! Hoping to nymphs once people have larger cultures and can spare a few :)

Thanks! :) Hope you are able to get some, hopefully they'll start getting more common in the hobby soon! 

4 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Yay :)  Soon you'll end up with copious number of ooths ;)

Can't wait for mine to mature! Most of mine are pre-presubs atm! 

Awesome, hope some others mature soon! Cool, seems like most of mine are pre-subs, so you colony isn't far behind mine at all! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Another one of my nymphs matured, and my other adult has darkened up a bit in color, so I thought I'd take some more pictures of it. :)

Balta%252324.JPG

Balta%252323.JPG

Balta%252321.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Another one of my nymphs matured, and my other adult has darkened up a bit in color, so I thought I'd take some more pictures of it. :)

Balta%252324.JPG

Balta%252323.JPG

Balta%252321.JPG

This species is amazingly beautiful, both as nymphs and especially as adults!

37 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

This species is amazingly beautiful, both as nymphs and especially as adults!

I know right, they are amazing! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having some problems with these, most of them have become sort of sluggish and the nymphs look pretty thin, found one upsidedown in the food dish today with some of it's legs chewed off. :( They always have food available and the springtails haven't run rampant in the enclosure, I really don't know what's going on. Any idea what's going on @Cariblatta lutea?

Ok, so I just removed all the remaining roaches from the enclosure and sterilized it all, turns out I have four surviving nymphs left, three of which have had most of their tibia chewed off, and two adults, which have also had some of their tibia chewed off. Turns out the roaches were actually starving, since they could no longer climb into the food bowl, so now I'll be placing the food straight on the substrate.

What the heck is going on? :excl: What made them chew off their tibia in the first place? I can only hope they don't all die, and hope that the nymphs will live long enough to molt and regrow their tibia. I feel like I'm having a lot of bad luck lately when it comes to Ectobiids. :(