Makings of the updated Allpet Roach Forum

Hi Everybody,

For those of you who don't know me, here are a couple of my websites:

BidaBug.org- An auction website that raises money for various organizations that do good things for bugs. Please contribute to the health of our hobby and our planet, by participating!

http://bidabug.org

A website for anybody to upload photos and information about roaches and other bugs. It's so easy to do...just click edit at the top of any page! It's a public domain resource, so be careful not to post any copyrighted info. or photos.

http://wiki.bidabug.org

My old old old website that I still love like its my firstborn!

http://bugsincyberspace.com

I helped Orin set the new Allpet Roach forum up, here, off the BidaBug website. Together, we hope we can build upon the great foundation that the original Allpet Roach site helped set for the hobby, through an updated look and feel. Orin won't want me to say this, but in my opinion he has done so much for the roach hobby through his website, forum and Allpet Roach book. Hosting this forum for him is my personal thank you to him. He is your moderator and will do a great job!

I look forward to being more involved with the roach community through the updated Allpet Roach Forum!

Peter Clausen

Hello Peter- It's a small world. We spoke in emails back and forth a few months back...I purchased a few Black Velvet roaches from you... I enjoy your BugsInCyberspace site. I look forward to posting and growing with this fourm!

Graham

Hi Captain Jack Roach,

It's really nice to see 20 members already, including bug pirates. My wife and I got a good laugh out of your profile photo a few days ago. I'd seen it before on other sites, but had never put the name to the face.

Arrrgh!

Peter

So you're the one who created bugsincyberspace! There's a lot of cool stuff on that site! It's great to have you here! :-)

Hi Captain Jack Roach,

It's really nice to see 20 members already, including bug pirates. My wife and I got a good laugh out of your profile photo a few days ago. I'd seen it before on other sites, but had never put the name to the face.

Arrrgh!

Peter

Hi Rachel,

Yep, it's kind of sad that I haven't uploaded any new photos to BIC in a long time. I have thousands of additional photos to upload...someday. For the last year and a half I've putting my time into experiencing the hobby in different ways and sharing it with others. The auction site is really my favorite website right now. It's a good feeling to try to create a decent marketplace where people might conduct their business while contributing to a good cause as a side effect. It's not really taking off like it could, yet. The participation on behalf of most of the selling and buying community has been slow to start. No worries though. The concept is a success!

Thanks for appreciating!

Peter

Thank you, Chris. I'm non-stop on the bug stuff, but it's all less meaningful unless you have a www. to share it with!

My wife and I took an unplanned just-get-outta-the-house-and-drive trip yesterday. We ended up about 400 miles away in Eastern Oregon. We spent the night at a place called Crystal Crane Hot Springs and then spent some time down at Malheur Lake Wildlife Refuge, and then today up to the John Day Fossil Beds. Collected a few neat rocks, as well. I'm really starting to get bit by the roach bug and was hoping I might find a few somewhere along the way. None! But, I did manage to find some Toad Bugs. It's crazy to actually see something in person that you've seen only in books for years. THATS why I love bugs. I can go anywhere and see tons of new bugs. Never a boring minute when you're a bug enthusiast!

I'm pretty sure these toad bugs I caught are larvae. I didn't manage to find any non-adult photos in a 5 minute web survey. I'll take a few photos, tomorrow and post them in the other category. They're aquatic and predatory, by the way. Look like toads!

Mostly, I just took a ton of photographs that I'll get around to posting in a few years. I should do an Oregon Bug Field Guide, but I'm having too much fun with all this interactive online stuff.

Cool! I've never seen toad bugs. Can't wait to see those pics. I rarely get a chance to go bug hunting but when I do, I always find something cool. My camera takes pretty good macro shots so I'm hoping to catch a few cool bugs next time I go and post some pics here.

Hi Rachel,

Unfortunately, one of my two toad bugs died within the first 24 hours. I'm not sure why. I tried to tempt the smaller remaining one with a fruit fly, but it wouldn't take it. There were a few aquatic invertebrates that came home in the stream water with the toad bug. Some of these, I had hoped, would make a decent (normal/natural) meal for the remaining bug. However, it died like two days later. I didn't get around to taking a photo of them. They were both adults, and probably a breeding pair. So sad!

this is interesting, i feel kind of inferior when i read about all these crazy field trips some of you folks have taken. it seems some of you have been halfway around the world and back and all i've seen is the USA and Ireland. how do you guys find the times to take extensive trips like that? Or are you all blessed with jobs that offer those opportunities? fill me in, i want to have some adventure in my life too!

Bricktop, man, I gotta ask...what's your real name? It's cool if you don't want to tell, but it's my nature to ask.

You've got me beat. I've never been off-continent! I've done Mexico (my parents live there so it's even cheaper) and Maui in the last year. I like to write long stories about how interesting the world is when you're a bug hobbyist. If you can cultivate a fascination in bugs, you need go no further than your own backyard. I've seen at least 10 bugs in my backyard this year that I've never seen before. Granted, I look, often! My very favorite place at my home is the small set of 3 steps leading from my deck to my backyard. I planted a flower garden (and a few veggies) right by the stairs there...wildflower mix and a few old favorites. Anyway, I love to just sit there in the sun, looking at the flowers and watching the bugs going about their business. I have three kids so 5 minutes is about as much quiet time as I have time for;-) I saw an assassin bug nymph today and a western conifer seed bug hatchling, yesterday. And believe me, Oregon is about as boring a place can be, bug-wise. I just make the best of it and nature never disappoints!

You can DOit!

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob...long time!

I'm expecting a few hundred hissers to show up at my door any moment from a trade I did with Andy on the board here! Good luck with your new hisser species. Maybe we can meet for an exchange if you get a bunch of them going. I'm not working down at the island anymore. Back in Tualatin again, which is nice since I live less than a mile from work. Mostly, I'm raising some mantids now, but I have a little bit of this and that. Caught a neat salamander in my backyard last night and a few local mantids a few weeks ago.

Thanks for joining!

Peter

• 6 years later...

Wow, that's a little bit of a trek down memory lane. Has it really been 7 years since the forum conversion? I don't have many of those sites mentioned in the first thread. Bidabug failed miserably and the wiki site was sort of supplemental to it, and just too much for me to manage (and pay for) outside of everything else. In the last seven years BIC has really expanded. Here is a link to the old version of the website in an online archive (a fairly interesting page), and back when things were a little different in June of 2005 (seven years after I first created the website, but it had a different name for the first 5 of those years).

https://web.archive....ecies_list.html

Now I stay busy enough with BIC, Mantidforum, Beetleforum and DeadInsects.net, in addition to this forum.

We all live in a very fortunate place in time. Neither the past nor the future probably offer the same opportunities we enjoy as contemporary cyber-naturalists.

Wow, that's a little bit of a trek down memory lane. Has it really been 7 years since the forum conversion? I don't have many of those sites mentioned in the first thread. Bidabug failed miserably and the wiki site was sort of supplemental to it, and just too much for me to manage (and pay for) outside of everything else. In the last seven years BIC has really expanded. Here is a link to the old version of the website in an online archive (a fairly interesting page), and back when things were a little different in June of 2005 (seven years after I first created the website, but it had a different name for the first 5 of those years).

https://web.archive....ecies_list.html

Now I stay busy enough with BIC, Mantidforum, Beetleforum and DeadInsects.net, in addition to this forum.

We all live in a very fortunate place in time. Neither the past nor the future probably offer the same opportunities we enjoy as contemporary cyber-naturalists.

Thanks for the update Peter, glad to see some really old members around and its nice reading some of the old topics :)