Anyone know why you can't own hissing cockroaches in TN?

What's the story behind this? I see all these dealers say they won't ship to Tennessee I even saw one site that said you needed to have a permit to own any type of hisser in Tennessee. If anyone could tell me why this is that would be great

This amestraight from Arachnoboards:

"N/m about the legality, I read it again and it said it's unlawful to ship them into TN without a lisence but It also said the lisence isn't required to possess them. Weird, huh?"

I would suggest calling your agriculture department for clarification or go to the site.

They are probably illegal to keep due to the fact that in theory, they could escape and survive in some of the southern states. I know in FL you can't keep any non-native species or any exotics that haven't already been introduced, don't know if it's the same in Tennessee or not.

The general answer is that laws are sometimes made by people that don't understand the concepts the laws are about. I see a lot of silly laws regarding animals. It make sense for Florida to have such laws. Tennessee is far to cold for that to be a concern, at least until global warming increases temperature substantially.

The seller is also at risk of fines or jail time. Ask tommy chong he had a bong business that shipped a bong to massachusits btw my spelling is bad. Anyway he went to jail for it he didnt even personally send it just his business did.

Hmm? after researching more about this I read this: " The USDA does not require any special permits to ship and/or receive Hissing Cockroaches" so does that mean I would be fine to go ahead and order some hissers? I am gonna wait until I hear something from my state department of agriculture

I just received this email from aphis: The USDA has dropped the permit requirement for domestic interstate movement of the Madagascar hissing cockroach, Gromphadorhina portentosa. Import would require a permit. You should check with Tennessee officials to see if they have any requirements.

I'm not gonna import them as they are already here in the U.S.

I just received this email from aphis: The USDA has dropped the permit requirement for domestic interstate movement of the Madagascar hissing cockroach, Gromphadorhina portentosa. Import would require a permit. You should check with Tennessee officials to see if they have any requirements.

I'm not gonna import them as they are already here in the U.S.

Wow, that's great, you should let some of the dealers who won't sell to Tennessee know about that! :)

There are three levels of government and each has thier own rules. Usda is federal so it applys to the country as a whole. Then theres state normally the fish and wildlife department but some states use different names. State level approval is what you need. Then theres local/county. A good example is dubia like hissers are legal nationally. However a state like florida or tennessee may ban certain spieces but only in that state. So its not illegal federally to ship however the state may press charges.

So this means I can get hissers in TN? :D I still am a little hesitant about buying some even after receiving this email

Yes it does, and that probably applies to all other roaches as well. :)

I just got a message back from my states entomologist and he said this: you would only need a permit if importing the species from outside the U.S. Domestic movement does not require a permit. So it looks like i'll be getting some hissers in the future :D if anyone wants to tell anyone that YES you can get hissers here in TN you are more than welcome to.