Hello!

pannaking22

Hello all! I have been in the roach hobby for a few months now and figured I would join the forum for more good info. While roaches aren't my first choice (arachnids all the way! ;) ), they definitely are an interesting group that I want to explore more. I am currently a graduate student in entomology at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and I study ticks and tick-borne disease. I'll try to put together a list of all my inverts, but hard to say if it'll happen since it's always changing and I've found it to be getting pretty lengthy lol.

OMG Your list of pets is huuuuggggeee!!!! So jealous! Welcome to the forum!!

OMG Your list of pets is huuuuggggeee!!!! So jealous! Welcome to the forum!!

I agree with this... perhaps too long to list... I have to scroll down more than I like to see the next post...

I hate to complain, but perhaps you could change this to be under your post as a signature and make it columns to take up less room?

Just a thought...

I agree with this... perhaps too long to list... I have to scroll down more than I like to see the next post...

I hate to complain, but perhaps you could change this to be under your post as a signature and make it columns to take up less room?

Just a thought...

Not quite the welcome I was expecting, but you have a good point. I'll get things changed up so it's a bit more manageable.

Tried messing with it and things got very bunched up and unreadable. I'll mess with it more later on when I have some extra time or need a break from homework, grading and data analysis.

Sorry! Welcome.

I did not mean to be rude.

It's always good to have real entomologists here to temper some of our unenlightened perspective on our bugs!n What is your area of research? I have a friend who's masters or PhD work (can't remember which) was on bark beetles. I was more interested in the hissing roaches that she shared with me! (that was my bug start)

Shoot, I hope I didn't sound rude and I'm sorry if I did! I had meant that jokingly, but I don't think it came out right. I'll get things either better organized or cut down the list a bit later in the week once I've finished TAing for the week :)

For my thesis, I'm studying the spread of the black-legged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and Lyme disease (Borrelia burgdorferi) in the Chicago, IL metropolitan area. I have also spent time studying/learning to identify mosquitoes and West Nile Virus. I do a lot of taxonomic identification of Kenyan ticks, though I enjoy taxonomy as a whole. Just as side projects (and for fun!) I study and collect jewel beetles (Buprestidae), tiger beetles (Carabidae: subfamily Cicindelinae) and longhorn beetles (Cerambycidae). I've been trying to put together a nice collection of buprestids and cicindelids, so if anyone wants to sell/give/trade me some I'm always looking!

Bark beetles are a good group to study, especially since they have been doing some major damage out west of the Rockies. Hissers are a great way to get into entomology! :)

Shoot, I hope I didn't sound rude and I'm sorry if I did! I had meant that jokingly, but I don't think it came out right. I'll get things either better organized or cut down the list a bit later in the week once I've finished TAing for the week :)

For my thesis, I'm studying the spread of the black-legged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and Lyme disease (Borrelia burgdorferi) in the Chicago, IL metropolitan area. I have also spent time studying/learning to identify mosquitoes and West Nile Virus. I do a lot of taxonomic identification of Kenyan ticks, though I enjoy taxonomy as a whole. Just as side projects (and for fun!) I study and collect jewel beetles (Buprestidae), tiger beetles (Carabidae: subfamily Cicindelinae) and longhorn beetles (Cerambycidae). I've been trying to put together a nice collection of buprestids and cicindelids, so if anyone wants to sell/give/trade me some I'm always looking!

Bark beetles are a good group to study, especially since they have been doing some major damage out west of the Rockies. Hissers are a great way to get into entomology! :)

I think bark beetles are an issue in the midwest too... aren't the emerald ash borers a bark beetle?

She got the hissers from a colony at Michigan State University

There are members of the bark beetle family (Scolytidae) in the Midwest, but they don't pose nearly as much of a problem. Emerald ash borers (Agrilus planipennis) are buprestids. We have a big hisser colony at the University of Illinois too. We are trying to get a couple other colonies going as well, but those are still pretty young, so we're playing the waiting game for now.

Couldn't quite get the list set up correctly in my signature (all the words kept smashing into each other, so it became a mess), so I just changed it up to the part people would find most important :)

No problem! As I've learned from blogging, visually appealing is always very helpful and it keeps people from getting distracted/bored/etc. :) Heck, after a couple posts I started getting tired of scrolling down past all the extra non-roach related stuff and it's all mine! Much better set up now, especially if I have specific species questions or people want to trade things.