Chorisoneura texensis, Small Yellow Texas Roach.

Hisserdude

Here are some pictures of this tiny, hard to breed species!

C.texensis3_zps5agdyd1w.jpg

C.texensis1_zpsv2stmmb8.jpg

C.texensis2_zpsppm8l2vk.jpg

Fingers crossed that I'll be able can breed these, I will be really surprised if I can! :)

I am feeding them cat food, it is pretty hard to tell if they are eating any though because they are so small, and thus probably have small appetites. I will keep those two food items in mind, will try bread later this week! :)

Hmmm... not sure if cat food would be very good for attracting roaches to eat. I have tried dog food for other types of roaches and it did not work well I think, cannot remember though. Maybe if I soaked it in water it would have been better.

The over ripe bananas is better than bread for the Chorisoneura texensis from my experience.

Cat and dog food are my staple roach food, all my roaches eat it, it is the first thing they go for usually. Will definitely try over ripe bananas! :)

Hmmm... not sure if cat food would be very good for attracting roaches to eat. I have tried dog food for other types of roaches and it did not work well I think, cannot remember though. Maybe if I soaked it in water it would have been better.

Observations of B. Orientalis nymphs indicated a complete indifference to a nugget of dry dog food (brand unknown). Once I added a few drops of water to the nugget they were all over it, chowing down.

I suspect the water releases some subtle aromatics in the dog food and softens the nugget a bit, making it easier for nymphs to eat.

The nugget dries out quickly but a few more drops of water rings the dinner bell for these little guys. Fun to watch...only a couple eat at the same time; it's like they're taking turns at the nugget.

Just thought I would say that they did not really like the bread, but they really seem to like the banana! :) First time I have seen them eat, though that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't eaten anything yet.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update for you guys, all 6 of my Chorisoneura are alive and well, I have been keeping 3 in their own containers, and 3 together, so far the communal setup is doing just as good as the separate setups are. And, one of them has matured!!!

Here are some pictures of the cute little guy:

C.texensis7_zpsjforkdfw.jpg

C.texensis6_zpsitfawkzf.jpg

C.texensis8_zpszdlxo5bl.jpg

hisserdude, can you post an update on your Polyphaga saussurei either on here or on your blog? I have been lately addicted to them and saving my money to get a stater colony from Kyle. Hoping to get some soon!

No problem! Just so you know, that species is parthenogenic, so you technically only need one to start a colony. I would get two, in case of a freak accident and one dies.

Yeah, and the roaches themselves take years to reach maturity. I've had them for almost a year now, they came as small nymphs, but they still had grown quite a bit from hatchling size, they are still not even half grown yet!!

Do you keep any other Polyphaga

Yeah, I also have P.aegyptiaca. The only species left in the hobby is P.obscura, but I can't find anyone in the US who sells them. :( Plus, I have my doubts whether they are truly obscura, they look identical to the P.saussurei in the hobby.

The Polyphaga saussurei really caught my eye when I saw them on Kyle's website. I was so happy when I read they were a Non-climbing species because my mom made a rule that I can't have any climbing species because she's afraid of escapes.