Rearing: B. fusca X B. atropos

Males continually show interest in females (fluttering wings etc.) but I havent been able to see any linking and they hardly eat. Ive had 2 aborted ooths since receiving about a momth ago. The colony is a ratio of 1:1 with a total of 32 adults. Substrate is about 4 inches deep and there is a piece of vertical and horizontal driftwood. Temps sit at about 84. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: yes, I understand these will be hybrids and should be labeled as such.

....being a separate species and all. Just because blaberus species have hybridized doesn't mean they all will in every instance.....perhaps?

I think these are too distantly related to hybridise, B.fusca, craniifer and giganteus can all hybridise for example, however I don't think they can hybridise with the smaller, stouter species like atropos, discoidalis, boliviensis, etc. (But those species can hybridise with each other).

Both strains originated from roach crossing. Definately pure. And if I'm not mistaken, this fusca strain came from Orin before that.

Huh, interesting, guess I'm totally wrong then! I'm curious what the offspring will look like, keep us updated

Huh, interesting, guess I'm totally wrong then! I'm curious what the offspring will look like, keep us updated

Well, you may be right about them not hybridizing. I wouldn't know as they were kept in different bins, the Atropos in their own airtight bin (I'm kind of paranoid about hybrids... Just a little).

Oh, I was under the impression you had tried to hybridize them and had succeeded, due to UncommonRoachBoy's comment. You've just had success breeding the two species separately. :) Yeah I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to hybrids as well, got all my Blaberus species in escape proof caging, with no way for the nymphs to escape and get into another's enclosure.

From what i've gathered

B. giganteus, and Blaberus colosseus apparently does not hybridize with any of the Blaberus species available in the hobby.

B. fusca, B. craniifer, and B. peruvianus will hybridize and produce viable offsprings, but they probably won't hybridize with any other species available in the hobby.

B. atropos, B. discoidalis, B. sp. "Venezuela", B. parabolicus, B. boliviensis ( I bet B. cf. chacoensis can be included here) can hybridize with each other and produce viable offspring, but won't hybridize with other species available in the hobby.