Roach food recipes.

Chris Driggers

What does everyone use? This is a mix that I have found to produce more offspring, and the roaches seem to grow a little faster but then again, I only pay really close attention to them in the warmer months, the rest of the time, I just feed and water them, spot clean and cover them back up.

I suppose it's not really a recipe, because I don't have the quantities on some ingredients.

Roach Food

Cheap dollar store cat food 3-4 coffee grinders full

Dry oatmeal 3-4 coffee grinders full

3-4 oak leaves

I grind everything in a coffee grinder, I usually mix the oak leaves in with the cat food so it grinds a little finer. I also add any cereal that goes stale in the kitchen too, and some dog food every now and again, but it's oily and it cakes up in the grinder and I don't use it very often.

Anyone else got a recipe they like? or something else alltogether? I'm interested.

So did I! I just gave my roaches whole cat food last night though and it's gone this morning. Sure saves a lot of time. Especially since I was pounding it with a hammer. lol.

Same here, only I used dog food. I never did any research before, like I said I just assumed the nymphs would have trouble. But this will definately save some time, and a little cash too, as I have a dog and have dog food on hand already anyway.

I use kaytee brand ferrit food, called forti-diet.

It has 35% protein, 18% fat, and 4% fiber.

Its all i've ever used for roaches, but i do give them a treat now and then of melon.

I actually breed my own crickets now, (thanks Orin!) and i swear they love the ferrit food,

even better than the roaches do!

When i used to have my website "Roachdomain" ferrit food is all i ever fed them.

I have never had any problems with my roaches, as long as i have been feeding them this.

Ken

cheap dog, cat, fish and chicken food. I try to use more than one at a time. I try to include cat or fish with the other since they are higher in protein. Somewhere i read that the lower protein foods such as dog food and chicken mash are a bit shy on protein. I also throw in whatever produce i have left over at least a couple of times per week. Also throw in most any other leftovers theyll eat, old popcorn, meatloaf, cereal, you name it.

I have alot of different roaches and i didn't used to grind.Until i read on some forums that people did.I have to say i go through alot more grinding,if this is any indication of consumption i would say they eat more when ground.

Andy

I grind mine in the ever-so-trustee "magic bullet". It does take a lot more time but I feel that I am doing my roaches a favor. Since I have mealworms and earthworms too it is easier to do it all at once.

I generally have a nice hearty combination of:

cheap dog food

rabbit or ferrit food

fish flakes and pellets (that I would normally feed my fish)

turlte/iguana mix (I use to have an iguana and there food works great - dried fuits/veggies/plant material)

cherrios or some type of oat or wheat bran cereal, wheaties etc...

oatmeal

some type of bread, tortilla, crutons, stale wheat.

Twice a week I place fresh fruits and veggies on top of the powder and mix it in so that the fruit/veggie pieces are covered in the powder (helps with rotting out becuase of the heat) I have never had to throw pieces out exept for the watermelon. Fruits and veggies I use:

watermelon, apple, grapes, leafy greens and kale, banana, and shredded carrot.

I use water crystals mixed with calcium/protien powder for my water source.

Keep the bins at 95 to 85 degrees night to day, respectivley.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been feeding my roaches a variety of stuff mixed together. Beneful dog food ground up, mixed with monster diet for crickets (powder) , fish food then on the side of it I have diced up orange and baby carrot with apple or peach. I have alot of fruit on hand for my sugar gliders so the fruit is easy for me to include every few feedings or so. My hissers go nuts for fresh fruit but love the other dry mix too.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been feeding my roaches a variety of stuff mixed together. Beneful dog food ground up, mixed with monster diet for crickets (powder) , fish food then on the side of it I have diced up orange and baby carrot with apple or peach. I have alot of fruit on hand for my sugar gliders so the fruit is easy for me to include every few feedings or so. My hissers go nuts for fresh fruit but love the other dry mix too.

Do you feed roaches to your sugar gliders?