Zelus sp. "So. TX"

Cariblatta lutea

Haha... Local z. lurides egg masses are so common and visible where I live, I assumed they were from stink bugs or cluster feeding caterpillars or something. Imagine my surprise when a horde of tiny green assassins popped out of one! They're so much easier to raise from eggs than other carnivorous insects, aren't they? No need for individual deli cups and flightless fruit flies, just give 'em one big caterpillar and they all share!

Haha... Local z. lurides egg masses are so common and visible where I live, I assumed they were from stink bugs or cluster feeding caterpillars or something. Imagine my surprise when a horde of tiny green assassins popped out of one! They're so much easier to raise from eggs than other carnivorous insects, aren't they? No need for individual deli cups and flightless fruit flies, just give 'em one big caterpillar and they all share!

That's an interesting observation. For some reason, all five species of native Zelus species I kept never got along with each other (even though I gave plenty of food to them) and had cannibalism problem :(

• 1 month later...

Love seeing all the off-the-wall stuff you end up raising!

And yeah, Z. longipes are pretty, but these are insane. The fourth instar is like blown glass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there some reason new members can't view pics? Or maybe it's because I'm on my phone..

It's a facebook glitch. Apparently the link changes whenever Facebook gets updates so the pics I linked before the update become unviewable so I have to change the link again. Will be working on this in few days.

Why don't you upload your pictures to Photobucket or a similar site? Then you wouldn't have the problem with the pictures disappearing. Or if you hate Photobucket like I do, you can set up a blog on blogger and then upload your pics there. Then its easy to put them here, just right click on the images and copy image address and then put them here! :)