What's this Cricket's name?

Els-Enora

post-634-1232190314_thumb.jpg

post-634-1232190326_thumb.jpg

These are my cricket pair who(m) common livefood used to feed Tarantula,Scorpion,Reptile or Arowana.

but,I don't know this species's English name and scientific name.

They are similar with Korean native cricket(Teleogryllus yemma),

but they have a bit bright brown color and Yellow patterns on their shoulder wing part.

What's this cricket's English and scientific name?

PS:sorry to my Wretched English.

I'm not sure of your species, but they are very colorful feeders, ours here are sandy brown. Yours reminds me of a cross between our feeders here and a wild cricket species. (feeder cricket body build, with our wild crickets coloration) Look for yourself, dont yours look like a cross of the crickets by me?

our feeders, the House Cricket- house_cricket.gif

wild cricket- the Field Cricket- crickets.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

They look sort of like an African species, Gryllus bimaculatus. What country are you located?

• 1 month later...

Hi

The crickets from the first post look like Gryllus assimilis: compared to many other Gryllus sp. its brown and not black. This species is often not really defined (they just call it G. assimilis because it looks like that) and is quite common in Switzerland and Germany (well, in pet shops, not free living!). We call it "Steppengrille"...

From where are they?

The pics from the second post are Acheta domestica ("house cricket", the dominant fed cricket here around, could be found in the wild sometimes) and maybe Gryllus bimaculatus ("african or mediterranean field cricket" or "two-spotted cricket"). Well, there are a lot of other species from the genus Gryllus being black and usually called "field crickets". G. bimaculatus typically (but not always!) has 2 white spots on the pronotum (common feeding insekt too).

Some pics can be found for example HERE

PS:sorry to my Wretched English.

DITO :D

I think the Gryllus in the second post are Gryllus veletus, a North American species. From Grigfarm, they (first post crix) look even more like bimaculatus, just with more pronounced red patches.

Hi Ralph

Either I don't understand what you mean (case of my lack of sufficient English knowledge) or I have to contradict.

Gryllus assimilis often has those white spots too but is more brown in apperance (being partially black though) while G. bimaculatus looks black to deep dark brown (abdomen, legs & wings). The spec. from Grigfarm is a non-determined species believed to be G. assimilis and therefore marketed as such by other breeders or they really sell G. assimilis which look really the same on pics.

If the cricket from the first post is from Europe it is most likely G. assimilis or the species known by that name. If it is from the US or Asia... well... I suppose Gryllus sp. as "name" has to be enough (but it is for sure not the two-spotted).

I agree with you that the crickets from the second post may be (or most likely are) another species (you are from Amerika and for sure now your species better than I do). I just mean, that those look similar to G. bimaculatus (just lacking the white spots).

Grüessli

Andreas

Hi Pharma,

You are probably right on the identification. I looked up G. assimilis and they do look a lot like the 1st post. I thought that the sp. that they called bimaculatus actually was bimaculatus, not a false name. So, we can give Els-Enora a final agreement: The crickets are Gryllus assimilis.

• 5 years later...