Jump to content


Pictures of enclosures for both Periplaneta & German roaches ??


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

Hi, please can you share pictures of enclosures for both Periplaneta & German roaches ??

Pictures of both big & small enclosures please !!

Many thanks in advance !!

#2 Alex

Alex

    Cockroach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

Hello there please look on the forums a you will see great examples.

Here is mine. Purchased it at the container store for 12.99 very escape proof. only default is you must make ventilation and be sure to use either micron screen or no see um screen in conjunction with aluminum window screen. Be sure to use vasaline.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:17 AM

Hi Alex, many thanks for the images !!

I used to believe that the cages for the hot species of roaches as these 2 species could require cages with much more protocols of security in them than the used for the rest of the roaches species, for this reason i am asking about particular cages for this 2 hot species.

But i am seeing that the protocols of security still being the same as for the rest of the roach cages with none particular extra protocol in their structures.

Or are there particular extra protocols in the structure of the cages for the hot species of roaches that must be indeed beyond of the customary roach cages used -- appart of the double layer of screens in the vent openings ??

And, your starter culture was wild taken or was originated from a previous captive breed culture ?? Many thanks !!

View PostAlex, on 08 September 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

Hello there please look on the forums a you will see great examples.

Here is mine. Purchased it at the container store for 12.99 very escape proof. only default is you must make ventilation and be sure to use either micron screen or no see um screen in conjunction with aluminum window screen. Be sure to use vasaline.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


#4 Alex

Alex

    Cockroach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:34 PM

the ones in the photo are from wild stock, but I do have captive stock. there is no real change in looks.

the upgraded box for me is a form of protocal IE escape proof cageing.

other than that I treat them all the same.

#5 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:01 AM

View PostAlex, on 09 September 2011 - 11:34 PM, said:

the ones in the photo are from wild stock, but I do have captive stock. there is no real change in looks.

the upgraded box for me is a form of protocal IE escape proof cageing.

other than that I treat them all the same.
Hi Alex, thanks for your commentaries, with your pictures i can see that useing small bins can be a bit more easy to control the hot species of roaches keeped. Thanks, regards.

#6 vfox

vfox

    Hissing Cockroach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pa
  • Interests:Art, Coins, Scorpions, and duh....Roaches.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

I think Alex has the perfect style of bins with the double rubber seal. As I've said recently in another thread I've been having trouble keeping my Australian roach babies in their enclosure. The extra rubber seal that his containers have would solve the issue of babies being able to escape, however, they are rather shallow as containers go. I prefer a taller container because they can climb fast and even hop a little. Mine is a 6$ Sterlite container without the rubber seal gasket. I'm going to purchase this model that has a gasket however - http://www.Sterilite...y=251&section=1

I can't say much for germans but I love my Australians; they are one of my favorite species.
My Website for all things cockroach: https://www.sites.go.../cockroachcare/
2014 culture list
Blattaria:(Cockroaches)
Established:
Archimandrita tesselata, Eublaberus prosticus, Gromphadorhina portentosa, Pycnoscelus striatus
Still in small cultures:
Asiablatta kyotensis, Blaberidae sp. (Kenya), Blaberus colosseus, Blaberus craniifer, Blaberus fusca, Blaptica dubia, Blattella asahinai, Blattella germanica (black morph), Elliptorhina chopardi, Eublaberus distanti, Eublaberus "ivory", Eurycotis floridana, Eurycotis opaca (sunset), Gyna caffrorum, Ischnoptera bilunata, Parcoblatta divisa, Parcoblatta lata, Parcoblatta pennsylvanica, Parcoblatta virginica, Periplaneta americana, Periplaneta americana (white eyed), Periplaneta australasiae, Periplaneta brunnea, Periplaneta fuliginosa, Schultesia lampyridiformis, Therea olegrandjeani, Therea regularis

Scorpiones:(Scorpions)  5 Centruroides gracilis, 3 Centruroides sculpuratus, 1 Hadogenes paucidens (M), 1 Hadrurus arizonensis, 1 Pandinus imperators (4-5i),
1 Hottentotta hottentotta

Amblypygi:(Tailless whipspider/scorpion) 1 Damon diadema (subadult)
Thelyphonida: (Vinegaroon/Whip scorpion) 1 Mastigoproctus giganteus
Apidae:(Bees, Non-Wasps) Apis mellifera (Russian Honey bee)
Araneae:(True Spiders and Tarantulas) 1 Grammostola rosea, 1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, 6 Latrodectus variolus
Spirostreptida:(Millpedes) 5 Orthoporus ornatus

#7 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:00 AM

View Postvfox, on 10 September 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

I think Alex has the perfect style of bins with the double rubber seal. As I've said recently in another thread I've been having trouble keeping my Australian roach babies in their enclosure. The extra rubber seal that his containers have would solve the issue of babies being able to escape, however, they are rather shallow as containers go. I prefer a taller container because they can climb fast and even hop a little. Mine is a 6$ Sterlite container without the rubber seal gasket. I'm going to purchase this model that has a gasket however - http://www.Sterilite...y=251&section=1

I can't say much for germans but I love my Australians; they are one of my favorite species.

Hi vfox, thanks for your commentaries.

I will take advice about you said on to add extra rubber seal on the border of the bins.

The # 1932 bin of the link you has added is a perfect bin !!

Just today i has been looked (in many local marts) for the # 1932 but unfortunatelly none of they had have it available today. But fortunatelly today i had founded a 2nd alternative, but it isn´t as good as the bin that you has recommended.

So, today i did the purchase of this 2nd alternative, and it was the # 1763 that is just the same showed in this link:
http://www.sterilite...ory=0&section=0
This is the # 1763 and i has purchased today 8 of this bins for my lobster roaches and for my B. lateralis roaches.

This kind of bin is only a little bit more larger than the # 1932 ,  but  this bin lacks of the great adfvantages that have the # 1932 ,  but i will add on them an extra rubber --maybe a thin layer of foamy-- just on their borders, and also to add extra vaseline on this foamy.

Also i will try with this # 1763 with the hot species of roaches that i am considering to obtain them from the "wild" surrounds of the city. Thanks, regards !!

#8 vfox

vfox

    Hissing Cockroach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pa
  • Interests:Art, Coins, Scorpions, and duh....Roaches.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:13 AM

Good luck TiercelR,

Keep us informed of your progress when you get the "hot" species. I have little experience with the Germans but I have a colony of Australians and I absolutely love them. I'm sure you'll enjoy having them as pets.
My Website for all things cockroach: https://www.sites.go.../cockroachcare/
2014 culture list
Blattaria:(Cockroaches)
Established:
Archimandrita tesselata, Eublaberus prosticus, Gromphadorhina portentosa, Pycnoscelus striatus
Still in small cultures:
Asiablatta kyotensis, Blaberidae sp. (Kenya), Blaberus colosseus, Blaberus craniifer, Blaberus fusca, Blaptica dubia, Blattella asahinai, Blattella germanica (black morph), Elliptorhina chopardi, Eublaberus distanti, Eublaberus "ivory", Eurycotis floridana, Eurycotis opaca (sunset), Gyna caffrorum, Ischnoptera bilunata, Parcoblatta divisa, Parcoblatta lata, Parcoblatta pennsylvanica, Parcoblatta virginica, Periplaneta americana, Periplaneta americana (white eyed), Periplaneta australasiae, Periplaneta brunnea, Periplaneta fuliginosa, Schultesia lampyridiformis, Therea olegrandjeani, Therea regularis

Scorpiones:(Scorpions)  5 Centruroides gracilis, 3 Centruroides sculpuratus, 1 Hadogenes paucidens (M), 1 Hadrurus arizonensis, 1 Pandinus imperators (4-5i),
1 Hottentotta hottentotta

Amblypygi:(Tailless whipspider/scorpion) 1 Damon diadema (subadult)
Thelyphonida: (Vinegaroon/Whip scorpion) 1 Mastigoproctus giganteus
Apidae:(Bees, Non-Wasps) Apis mellifera (Russian Honey bee)
Araneae:(True Spiders and Tarantulas) 1 Grammostola rosea, 1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, 6 Latrodectus variolus
Spirostreptida:(Millpedes) 5 Orthoporus ornatus

#9 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:26 AM

View Postvfox, on 11 September 2011 - 02:13 AM, said:

Good luck TiercelR,

Keep us informed of your progress when you get the "hot" species. I have little experience with the Germans but I have a colony of Australians and I absolutely love them. I'm sure you'll enjoy having them as pets.

Thank you bfox !! i will do it  :) the "hot" species of roaches are just the taboo of the roach hooby, just as the venom species of snakes  B) and so this kind of roaches are as "dangerous" as these snakes but in the risk of to become the location "crazyment infested"  :blink: thanks, regards !!

#10 froggy

froggy

    Eggcase

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

Any one ever tried this?
I heard a few years ago of a guy using Vaseline around the top rim of a Rubbermaid bin and then adding a bead of silicone around the in side of the lid where it contacts the top rim. The he would put the lid back on and add a little bit of weight and let it cure. Once done he would use a heat gun to sort of melt the Vaseline to break any suction and then remove the lid. The result was a perfectly sealed lid with a gasket like those bins made out of the silicone. Because he smeared the top rim of the bin with Vaseline the silicone only stuck to the lid and not the bin itself. Please let me know if you don't understand (im not very good at describing hings like this) but i am thinking of trying it for a Periplaneta japonica bin.
I was also told to use pantyhose for screening instead of mesh.

#11 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

View Postfroggy, on 08 October 2011 - 03:18 AM, said:

Any one ever tried this?
I heard a few years ago of a guy using Vaseline around the top rim of a Rubbermaid bin and then adding a bead of silicone around the in side of the lid where it contacts the top rim. The he would put the lid back on and add a little bit of weight and let it cure. Once done he would use a heat gun to sort of melt the Vaseline to break any suction and then remove the lid. The result was a perfectly sealed lid with a gasket like those bins made out of the silicone. Because he smeared the top rim of the bin with Vaseline the silicone only stuck to the lid and not the bin itself. Please let me know if you don't understand (im not very good at describing hings like this) but i am thinking of trying it for a Periplaneta japonica bin.
I was also told to use pantyhose for screening instead of mesh.

Hi froggy, thanks for your reply. It sounds as an excellent idea, thank you for share it. If you try it please be sure of to take pictures of the DIY steps by means you can upload the pictures in the forum. I understand the idea and it sounds really very good. Thanks, regards.

#12 froggy

froggy

    Eggcase

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

Well all i have camera wise is my blackberry so ill see what i can do for you!
I think it will require clamps afterward because its improbable that the silicone will be a perfect fit on its own without some pressure, but ill let you know :)

Thanks.

#13 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

View Postfroggy, on 12 October 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

Well all i have camera wise is my blackberry so ill see what i can do for you!
I think it will require clamps afterward because its improbable that the silicone will be a perfect fit on its own without some pressure, but ill let you know :)

Thanks.
Hi froggy, thanks for your reply. Thank you so much in advance !! this last tip you said also is very useful !! regards.

#14 froggy

froggy

    Eggcase

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

I did a trial run today for the silicone gasket type seal.
Not sure yet if its working but in the morning i would know if it worked.
I took a few poor quality pics but im not sure how useful they will be.
I will start a new thread if it works saying exactly how to do it.

Thanks.

#15 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

View Postfroggy, on 17 October 2011 - 01:42 AM, said:

I did a trial run today for the silicone gasket type seal.
Not sure yet if its working but in the morning i would know if it worked.
I took a few poor quality pics but im not sure how useful they will be.
I will start a new thread if it works saying exactly how to do it.

Thanks.

Hi froggy, thank you so much in advance !! after you upload this new thread, i vote for to become it a sticky or pinned thread on the forum, due to their practical and useful value. Regards.

#16 TiercelR

TiercelR

    Nymph

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mexico city
  • Interests:falconry, and keeping: terrarium animals, stick insects, mantis, roaches.

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

... and anyone actually keeping the German Roaches ?? i know that is needed to have a bunch of courage for to having them  :lol: but if yes, please show us their enclusures !! thanks, regards.

#17 froggy

froggy

    Eggcase

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

BTW i havnt forgotten i have lots of pics to share soon, just waiting for the silicone to dry so i can remove the lids... it takes a long time with no ventilation for the silicone to dry....

#18 froggy

froggy

    Eggcase

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

Forgot to post but this experiment was a failure :( the silicone didnt adhear to the lids and fell off. Big waste of time money and silicone

#19 Keith

Keith

    Giant Cockroach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

I have 2 questions:

Don't these species fly?
Do they carry diseases?

#20 vfox

vfox

    Hissing Cockroach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pa
  • Interests:Art, Coins, Scorpions, and duh....Roaches.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

Periplaneta americana can fly but I often leave my container open during feeding and cleaning. I've never had one attempt to fly out, they prefer to run along the substrate and decoration/hides.

In nature rarely do they carry disease, in cities however they do at times. Keep in mind they live in sewers, sewers are not clean places. My colony is pretty large and is disease free because I got them from a zoo and keep them clean.

See my website/YouTube account. I recently updated a video of how my colony is doing.
My Website for all things cockroach: https://www.sites.go.../cockroachcare/
2014 culture list
Blattaria:(Cockroaches)
Established:
Archimandrita tesselata, Eublaberus prosticus, Gromphadorhina portentosa, Pycnoscelus striatus
Still in small cultures:
Asiablatta kyotensis, Blaberidae sp. (Kenya), Blaberus colosseus, Blaberus craniifer, Blaberus fusca, Blaptica dubia, Blattella asahinai, Blattella germanica (black morph), Elliptorhina chopardi, Eublaberus distanti, Eublaberus "ivory", Eurycotis floridana, Eurycotis opaca (sunset), Gyna caffrorum, Ischnoptera bilunata, Parcoblatta divisa, Parcoblatta lata, Parcoblatta pennsylvanica, Parcoblatta virginica, Periplaneta americana, Periplaneta americana (white eyed), Periplaneta australasiae, Periplaneta brunnea, Periplaneta fuliginosa, Schultesia lampyridiformis, Therea olegrandjeani, Therea regularis

Scorpiones:(Scorpions)  5 Centruroides gracilis, 3 Centruroides sculpuratus, 1 Hadogenes paucidens (M), 1 Hadrurus arizonensis, 1 Pandinus imperators (4-5i),
1 Hottentotta hottentotta

Amblypygi:(Tailless whipspider/scorpion) 1 Damon diadema (subadult)
Thelyphonida: (Vinegaroon/Whip scorpion) 1 Mastigoproctus giganteus
Apidae:(Bees, Non-Wasps) Apis mellifera (Russian Honey bee)
Araneae:(True Spiders and Tarantulas) 1 Grammostola rosea, 1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, 6 Latrodectus variolus
Spirostreptida:(Millpedes) 5 Orthoporus ornatus




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users