White/orange Blaberus instars

Pulk

This persists for the whole instar; it's not just a fresh molt look. It happened to a largish B. giganteus nymph earlier this year, and I just found a smallish B. craniifer nymph with it. This nymph definitely looked normal before the molt, so I'm guessing it just lasts one instar (even if they can molt in this condition). Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas on the cause?

B. giganteus

blab-1sm_zps8ae93fdb.jpg

B. craniifer

crannymphsm.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna be watching this thread. Keith, which species did you get?

• 3 weeks later...

This persists for the whole instar; it's not just a fresh molt look. It happened to a largish B. giganteus nymph earlier this year, and I just found a smallish B. craniifer nymph with it. This nymph definitely looked normal before the molt, so I'm guessing it just lasts one instar (even if they can molt in this condition). Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas on the cause?

B. giganteus

blab-1sm_zps8ae93fdb.jpg

B. craniifer

crannymphsm.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the same one, although this nymph appears female and strange white coloring. If it's not then I did see him and he is normal coloring already and healthy.

post-117-0-55694700-1358380949_thumb.jpg

post-117-0-63752300-1358380953_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

B. craniifer

crannymphsm.jpg

I found him! He's doing very well! post-117-0-62418400-1363240520_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Normal handsome craniifer... Huh.

That yellowed female looked like she got injured, though.

Normal handsome craniifer... Huh.

That yellowed female looked like she got injured, though.

Yeah pretty cool how something looking not normal ends up turning to your ordinary black wing craniifer!

Yeah that female did have an injury but eventually recovered also