American Pill Millipede

Cariblatta lutea

This was a nice surprise to find. Was planning on taking a 3 hr drive to find these, but turned out these also lived in an area only 25 min. from my place. Specimens were collected in Wetumpka, AL

Man, the amount of cool invertebrates that live in your state never ceases to amaze me! Very cool millipedes, I hope these do better in captivity than the Madagascan ones do. Let us know how they fare! :)

Man, the amount of cool invertebrates that live in your state never ceases to amaze me! Very cool millipedes, I hope these do better in captivity than the Madagascan ones do. Let us know how they fare! :)

I'm amazed at the diversity of the fauna in my area too! Never thought I would find such cool millies in the area I've been collecting over the past 4 years or so.

Thanks for wishing me luck :)

I'm amazed at the diversity of the fauna in my area too! Never thought I would find such cool millies in the area I've been collecting over the past 4 years or so.

Thanks for wishing me luck :)

No problem! Just curious, what is the species name for these?

Unfortunately I have no clue. There seems to be more than one species occurring in AL and none have been collected from Wetumpka

Interesting, well I hope that you can eventually ID them! :)

Interesting, well I hope that you can eventually ID them! :)

I just heard back from the person who described our native pill millies that these would even be impossible to ID to genus level without the aid of microscope. I'm shipping some to him in a hope that he'll be able to ID them.

Didn't realize their were any american pill millipedes... They're not an introduced old world species, are they?

Nope, these are one of the native pills :) Apparently there are like 3 native species in S.E. US

Awesome find! I hope they do well for you!

Those are so cool. @_@ I didn't realize we had them in the US either.

IKR? I've only learned that there are native pill millies in the state I live in couple of months ago, and the locality for these were restricted to a state park in northern AL so I never though I would run across them. lol

Really cool! :) Hope they do well for you!

Lucky! :D That's all I can say, you are just so lucky, I wish Idaho had such a great diversity of invertebrates!

• 1 month later...

All the adults are still alive, and I see couple of babies, but not sure if those are CB or are WC specimens that ended up in the substrate I picked up from their habitat.

Good, glad to hear they are still alive! :D Would be cool if those babies were CB!

Yeah, not to mention it would be the first documentation of captive breeding in this species!