Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'nyctiborinae'.
Found 2 results
Hello there friends, I've started breeding these magnificent species. Paratropes phalerata is a diurnal cockroach that lives on live plants. In some literature has been cited as an important pollinator :-) I've been trying several ways to keep them... At the beginning I've tried to emulate an habitat with the same plants I usually find them on. But it's been a little tricky and not necessarily better in captive breeding. So at this moment I'm keeping most of the groups I have in small boxes, with good ventilation and moist substrate, and barks for them to perch on, just to keep looking for the best way to breed them (Different foods and that stuff)... They like sweet fruits like mango... ;-) I already got some oothecae, they stick them to... anywhere hahaha Sticky side: ;-) But this one on the plantae is really how they lay their oothecae in the wild: As I said before... barks seems to be just fine :-p Incubating eggs apart: Some other pics :-) This is a perfect display cockroach!!! is really funny to watch them walking around the boxes and kind of communicate each other by touching their antennae. They are visible and busy during most of the hours of light, but not like looking for an escape, rather just wandering around the barks and soil. Sometimes I watch them taking a determinate route and taking a bite of food in every lap Next step: A big planted terrarium for all of them, with dishes containing pollen, sweet fresh fruits and some other foods with high flour content ¿Has anyone of you breed these before? Your suggestions would be very grateful :-D
Hello friends! :-) Spoiler: Yes, I did it, but... Some months ago I've start my first topic here in the forum, asking for information about care and breeding of the genus Megaloblatta, to find that as it seems, there's not any available information at the moment, and... that every known attempt of breeding this genus has failed, specifically at the point of incubating their oothecae. First topic here: Now the news... As you can see in the other thread, I've started with 4 nymphs, but one died in my process to find their right food. Impressively the other 3 survived my clumsiness to reach adulthood. I've learned over this period that they could receive conventional roach food (cat/dog food, fish flakes... oats), but in very low quantity, and they really loved sweet fruits, specially mango and bananas. And the most important: the right protein source seems to be raw meat... I use chicken hearts that they eat with a lot of passion Fresh molted nymph: Adult female: The ooths are huge (between 4-5 cms) Between the 3 survivors, I've got only one female... that laid only 4 ooths during her life. And here started the tricky part.... for after around 5 months the first laid oothecae was spoiled, fly worms emerging from inside. And then the second one!!!... Of course I was doing it wrong. So I took the determination of dissecting the third oothecae to check out what were happening. And I've found alive healthy embryos forming themselves inside... so the real problem were during the hatching. I've been really careful at the moment of dissection, and the eggs inside survived enough to hatch :-) And they seems to be the first generation of Megaloblatta breed in captivity. Pictures (Notice the antennae shape... they are much shorter in proportion than in big nymphs... that's adorable!!!) I have around 40 of them... and I'm already finding new details about them, for example... they are not interested in the same kind of fruits than the big ones likes, but I don't want to provide any information about it until having a real experience with it. Personal conclusion: Of course dissection is not the right method to hatch these ooths, but I was desperate and it worked for this time... at least I have enough individuals (much more than at the beginning) to keep on breeding and try something better next time. I have already an hypothesis... It could be that the oothecae case is very strong and hard in some Nyctiborinae species (because some other breeders and myself have found the same problems with some of their species), so perhaps the oothecae have to undergo a process of degradation by the environment during the incubation, something similar to the scarification process in some species of plant seed's. I would risk to affirm that that's why, in this case, M.longipenis lay ooths in "dirt places" (for I've found my girl released ooths covered with substrate in really muddy spots). So at the moment of hatching the ooths should be weak enough to allow the nymphs emerge, which is not possible with the aseptic methods that breeders (including myself) use to use... I will try to incubate next generation really moist and with a lot of springtails and as always... I'm open to you suggestions :-) Best regards!