Heat rock for roaches?

Roachsmith

I'm thinking about getting a large heat rock with a rheostat for my tiger hisser tank. They like sitting under warm lights and I thought they might sit on top of a heat rock. What do you think? I could get an under tank heater but I thought they might be more visable if I put the rock in.

I'm thinking about getting a large heat rock with a rheostat for my tiger hisser tank. They like sitting under warm lights and I thought they might sit on top of a heat rock. What do you think? I could get an under tank heater but I thought they might be more visable if I put the rock in.

I don't recommend it personal because how many roaches are going to sit on your rock? probably about 1 male and a few females. heat mat will give you more surface area.

I might use a heat mat and a rock for supplimental heat once in a while or for my smaller hisser tank. I just thought it might be fun to try. You're right though, the domiant male would probably sit on it and push all the others off. But that's kind of entertaining :D

I looked at some rocks in the pet store yesterday and they said not to use them in tropical/humid environments but I saw some online that might work better.

I think I cut a chunk out of the plastic part of my screen top and it should seal pretty tight when i close the cage. I guess I could put some olive oil on the cord too. I'll have to figure that part out still :-)