Sign in to follow this  
Roachsmith

Hisser lifespan

I know regular hissers can live for about 3 years (and I've had a few that lived that long). What about Tiger and dwarf hissers? Do they have different lifespans? I read that tigers only live about a year. Is that true?

I know regular hissers can live for about 3 years (and I've had a few that lived that long). What about Tiger and dwarf hissers? Do they have different lifespans? I read that tigers only live about a year. Is that true?

If 'tiger' hissers only lived a year mine would have died already, so I can say no. Hissers can live 3 years and though I personally have not kept track I have heard of them living up to 5 years on rare occasion (but do not know this for a fact).

Tiger and Dwarf hissers live approximately the same amount of time as the common G.portentosa. Three years is common, five is maximum including time to maturity.

Thanks. That's a relief. I though one year didn't sound right considering they don't grow very fast. It's good to know I'll have them around for a few years.