Yippeee Hissers give birth

mikeee

:o does anyone know how many babies come out each time hisser give birth? i have quite a few hissers but this is the first time i saw the brand spanking new borns and there is about 40. Was this from 2 mothers or did 1 give birth to that many?

Hi mikeee, the amount of nymphs can be unpredictable. It really depends on how well you take care of them. I've had a maximum of 51 babies once. You must be doing a good job keeping them :D . One final tip: keep the babies really humid. I learned (from the people here ;) )the hard way that they die if too dry.

• 5 months later...

My first babies I only had less than 10. About that time, the humidity was really low. I freaked out when I saw them and ran to get my plastic lid to keep in the humidity. Two days ago when I came home after class to check on them, I didn't see the few in their usual spot on the leaves, turned over a piece of bark and found a large group of new babies along with the slightly larger ones, under the bark. They all scatter when I look at them, so I will have to find a good way to count them. There are a bunch of them. At least 30-40.

• 10 months later...

Okay one of my Hissers just gave birth yesterday, my first Hisser nymphs :D ...Looks like 12-15 Nymphs :lol: and I was wondering, Ralph said you have to keep the babies really humid...how long do you need to keep misting them alot?...weeks?...Months?.....What????

They really don't need ALL that much more humidity than adults need to be healthy but once they are on L3 size they can be kept a little drier.

Okay, Cool...I'm gonna do a real light misting like twice a day B)

You must have a LOT of ventilation and a low ambient humidity to need to do it that often. Do you have substrate in with them? That'll help even out the humidity peaks and hold in moisture better. Too much moisture can lead to problems like mold and flies... But if you put in a dish to put water in that'll help (of course I have substrate in with them so I just dump water down one side of the tank for a good gradient).

Okay, Cool...I'm gonna do a real light misting like twice a day B)

You must have a LOT of ventilation and a low ambient humidity to need to do it that often. Do you have substrate in with them? That'll help even out the humidity peaks and hold in moisture better. Too much moisture can lead to problems like mold and flies... But if you put in a dish to put water in that'll help (of course I have substrate in with them so I just dump water down one side of the tank for a good gradient).

Yeah there is about a half inch of potting soil..I have them in a plastic tuperware type tub of about 4-5gal and there is a ring of small holes drilled all the way around the top edge and the lid has holes drilled all around the edge and a line down the middle of it too..I must have too much moisture in it cause this morning I saw a patch of mold right next to the food dish where they dumped gran onto the topsoil...I'll back off with the misting..also there is a water dish with marbles in there too...there are 5 large adults and a dozen or so newlyborn nymphs in there right now.