Key for roaches?

Does anybody know of a source for identification of cockroaches in the western United States (web resource, dichotomous key, et cetera)? I’m also looking for one that gives Polyphagidae information, if there’s other stuff with it that’s great too. I have already looked at “The Grasshoppers, cockroaches, and Their Allies” by J. R. Helfer, it didn’t really help. Or if someone knows someone that knows the polyphagidae of the US…

and if there is any Blattodea Culture Group members I would like to know more about the journal. Is it really worth it? I mean roughly $45 for a biyearly, pretty steep. Remember you can always shoot me an email or PM me. Thanks guys...and gals of course.

This could help:

Atkinson, Thomas H., Philip G. Koehler, and Richard S. Patterson

Publication Date: 1991

Article/Chapter Title: Catalog and Atlas of the Cockroaches of North America North of Mexico

Journal/Book Name, Vol. No.: Miscellaneous Publications of the Entomological Society of America, no. 78

Also, this site leads to alot of resource info:

www.itis.gov

I actually ran across both those recourses on the web and have the catalog coming through the interlibrary loan system. I also came across that Florida guide while doing research which would be great if I was in Florida. I would think there would be some sort of dichotomous key somewhere with western roach species in it. Thanks for the info though. :)

This could help:

Atkinson, Thomas H., Philip G. Koehler, and Richard S. Patterson

Publication Date: 1991

Article/Chapter Title: Catalog and Atlas of the Cockroaches of North America North of Mexico

Journal/Book Name, Vol. No.: Miscellaneous Publications of the Entomological Society of America, no. 78

Also, this site leads to alot of resource info:

www.itis.gov

• 2 weeks later...
and if there is any Blattodea Culture Group members I would like to know more about the journal. Is it really worth it? I mean roughly $45 for a biyearly, pretty steep. Remember you can always shoot me an email or PM me. Thanks guys...and gals of course.

Blattodea Culture Group membership pays for two issues of the full colour journal Cockroach Studies. The membership fee is realistic for Britain & Europe, but will seem more costly to Americans because of currently unfavourable exchange rates. The BCG Committee is looking into reducing the cost of printing Cockroach Studies and if we can reduce these then the price will obviously come down (The BCG is non-profit making).

Best wishes,

George Beccaloni

Thanks for the info. I hope they will be able to work something out...maybe they will even let us foreigners get electronic copies for a reduced price. I'd go for it in a heart beat; It’s just too spendy for a subscription right now as is (starving college student here, I’m sure people out there know how that one goes). Someday though, someday....

Blattodea Culture Group membership pays for two issues of the full colour journal Cockroach Studies. The membership fee is realistic for Britain & Europe, but will seem more costly to Americans because of currently unfavourable exchange rates. The BCG Committee is looking into reducing the cost of printing Cockroach Studies and if we can reduce these then the price will obviously come down (The BCG is non-profit making).

Best wishes,

George Beccaloni

• 7 years later...