Strange sowbug on Bugguide

Ralph

Take a look at this Bugguide node:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/98041

If that is a freshly molted sowbug, than what about what we know about sowbugs? http://bugguide.net/node/view/151012/bgpage .

I have a porcellionid that looks just like this (first link), only with the heart visible and odd red splotches. He/she is too small for an accurate picture on my camera, and has molted once since I've had him about 4 months. Is albinism especially common in woodlice?

Are you talking about the second ones? I know that wasn't a white sowbug, woodlice always molt half at a time. The meaning of my posting the second picture was to show that the first cannot be newly molted. Thank you for concern, but the main interest of the post was in the first picture.

Are you talking about the second ones? I know that wasn't a white sowbug, woodlice always molt half at a time. The meaning of my posting the second picture was to show that the first cannot be newly molted. Thank you for concern, but the main interest of the post was in the first picture.

You can check the isopod's eyes, and see if there is any pigment. I'm working on a pure white Porcellio scaber colony right now, and they have white eyes (can't even see them).... but I also have a small colony of yellow Porcellio scaber, and they have the usual gray/black eyes. There are definitely pigmentless isopods around, would love to see how pure yours is as well.

Mine has dark red eyes, sorta like brick red, only blacker. The irregular red splotches on mine don't change with molthing. I really wish I could get a photo up, but my camera can only get a fuzzy white blob.

Did you keep it? Anyway, I also have some completely orange sowbugs, sortof like hisser-abdomen orange (a little lighter). Even their eyes are orange. They were found in a log on a small marshy peninsula by a lake.