some sort of fly trouble

darla

I've got what I thought were fruit flies. They showed up after getting a watermelon. The flies are pestering my Dubias and also my super worms. They are getting unbearable. The dubias have been changed to a brand new container with new bedding and roach flats. It seems like I have had quite a few roaches die recently and have an awful smell! I do red up everyday so there are no dead ones left in there very long. Now I caught a fly buzzing me and I smashed it....ewww.. it smelled terrible! Maybe I'm over sensitive but maybe it's a clue and someone will know exactly what it is. Are my colonies destroyed?

You can tell the difference between fruit flies and phorid flies just by the behavior. Phorid flies seldom fly near you or your face but fruit flies seem to float in the air near you. Phorid flies commonly walk and run across surfaces and do not take off in mass. Fruit flies are not seen runnig a long and take off in a group on disturbance.

Ok Thanks. I guess I have phorid flies. I just read a bunch of info on them and they are supposed to keep fire ants at bay. Since I don't have fire ants they are going to feast on my roaches. Should I dipose of my colonies, or will they still be ok? I'm using them to feed lizzards.

They won't hurt your roaches, they do not feed on live roaches despite anything you might read. Most people get them with thier feeder crickets and they easily move over to dead roaches. They're a little unpleasant and can infest fruit fly cultures medium but are a relatively harmless pest.

• 3 months later...