How many B. Dubia can I keep in certain sized tubs?

W/o overcrowding what would be a good number of B. Dubia adults to house in a 35 gallon or 55 gallon sterilite tub? Is there a formula I should be using as to not overcrowd my tubs? I'm keeping a 3/1 ratio of females to males.

My colony is really starting to pop and I'm getting anywhere from 45-60 adults a day.

Thanks,

-Ian

• 3 weeks later...
W/o overcrowding what would be a good number of B. Dubia adults to house in a 35 gallon or 55 gallon sterilite tub? Is there a formula I should be using as to not overcrowd my tubs? I'm keeping a 3/1 ratio of females to males.

My colony is really starting to pop and I'm getting anywhere from 45-60 adults a day.

Thanks,

-Ian

55 gallons? you could keep loads, i have like 500 in a 6 gallon (i think it is alteast. its a 25l box).

so a few thousand?

You can greatly increase the number of roaches you can house in a particular container by increasing the surface area for them to be on. Roaches need to be able to move about without having a lot of other roaches crawling over them all the time. In my dubia bin I keep 8-12 sheets of plain cork board (from a craft store or office supply) pegged together with about 1/4" to 1/2" space between the layers and I stand them on end vertically. I also keep a small number of rolls from toilet tissue in there as well. They climb up between the cork sheets or hide in the tubes and just hang out. It doesn't have to take up the whole enclosure. You'd be shocked how many more you can fit in a bin this way. They do eventually eat the cork and tubes but both are very inexpensive and last a long time.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. I am running out of source for cheap egg crates.

:mellow:

• 2 months later...