FEMALE Dubia with Wings!

Zephyr

Checked on my roaches today... And I found a FEMALE dubia with wings!

She looks a lot deformed; even the abdomen is a bit "messed up."

She has not entirely hardened, so I don't know if she'll make it.

If any one is interested in this specimen, let me know!

Pics soon!

img1413gz0.jpg

img1414uj2.jpg

Interesting :o ...If she lives I wonder if her female offspring would have this mutation also..You should try to breed her

The terminal segment looks like its a male. Why do you think this is a female?

:huh:

The whole body is girthy and the pronotum is as wide as a females. If I can get a better picture of the terminal segment, it shows that it is one, whole segment, although it is a little deformed.

The whole body is girthy and the pronotum is as wide as a females. If I can get a better picture of the terminal segment, it shows that it is one, whole segment, although it is a little deformed.

Try to get more light on the specimen for the photo, and from two angles. One light coming in from the side and the other pointing to the tail of the roach.

Okay, I'll try.

Also, notice that the wings are morphed pads; with bases like the wing stubs on a female.

The photo would help. The wings are irrelevant, as this is a variable within the species and the "pads" you refer to form in all nymphs, hence the wing formation could easily be from a bad molt or a natural deformity.

Additionally, if you wanted to preserve it I could dissect it when I get a chance.... :o

The photo would help. The wings are irrelevant, as this is a variable within the species and the "pads" you refer to form in all nymphs, hence the wing formation could easily be from a bad molt or a natural deformity.

Additionally, if you wanted to preserve it I could dissect it when I get a chance.... :o

Can do.

So do you think I should "exterminate" the specimen?

**EDIT- Never mind, it's deceased. XD

Want it? How do I ship it and keep from decaying?

Can do.

So do you think I should "exterminate" the specimen?

**EDIT- Never mind, it's deceased. XD

Want it? How do I ship it and keep from decaying?

Dang..was hoping you might be able to breed her and get other mutie winged females B)

Well, she looked like she was starting to rot...

So I have her in the freezer, frozen in a block of all ice (no air in the bag.)

What happens now? XD

Let it thaw most of the way, then put it in a jar of alchohol. The next day drain off all the fluid and replace it with alchohol. At many stores you can buy isopropyl alchohol that is 90% (it will say on the label, some brands are only 70%). Let it sit in the 90% alchohol for about two weeks, three is better really. Drain off the fluid, put it in a film canister or other small container with a tight seal, tape up the edges and mail it. I can dissect it when I get a chance and maybe even get photos of the organs.

Let it thaw most of the way, then put it in a jar of alchohol. The next day drain off all the fluid and replace it with alchohol. At many stores you can buy isopropyl alchohol that is 90% (it will say on the label, some brands are only 70%). Let it sit in the 90% alchohol for about two weeks, three is better really. Drain off the fluid, put it in a film canister or other small container with a tight seal, tape up the edges and mail it. I can dissect it when I get a chance and maybe even get photos of the organs.

Sounds good!

I'd like to note that there was a bit of a protrusion from the abdomen; looked like a malformed ootheca.

• 1 month later...

I found one just like this the other day. Looks the same with crinkled wings. I thought that maybe the humidity wasn't high enough in the colony, but after misting and a few days later I took another look at him / her. Exact body of a female, just w wings. I'll post picts soon.

I found one just like this the other day. Looks the same with crinkled wings. I thought that maybe the humidity wasn't high enough in the colony, but after misting and a few days later I took another look at him / her. Exact body of a female, just w wings. I'll post picts soon.

Oh NO....these are a mutant strain of dubia in reaction to evolution of captivity. They could be very very dangerous.

:blink:

very strange.

it does look like a deformed male to me, though.

• 3 years later...