Sign in to follow this  
Vulgaris

What to feed a Parcoblatta nymph

Hello I am trying to raise a Parcoblatta nymph that I found. I know this type roach needs moisture and they eat decaying material, but what kind of foods will they eat?

thanks for any suggestions

Carrot, apple, fish food, and they seem to like to nibble on mold or mushrooms occasionally. I have normally found them under loose tree bark in the wild. They do not seem to like anything leafy green.

Hello I am trying to raise a Parcoblatta nymph that I found. I know this type roach needs moisture and they eat decaying material, but what kind of foods will they eat?

thanks for any suggestions

The wood roaches eat very little, it could take one nymph a year to eat a 1/4" piece of dry dog food. I do think for this genus fish flakes would be much better than dry dog food.

The wood roaches eat very little, it could take one nymph a year to eat a 1/4" piece of dry dog food. I do think for this genus fish flakes would be much better than dry dog food.

Wow! So what is the growth rate for these guys...two years from 1st instar to adult?

Lol no idea. My "wood roach" turned out to be an oriental when she reached adulthood :(

It's odd you'd find a sem-tropical cockroach outside, under a board in PA (not impossible). There are a number of different wood roaches that look similar to the oriental cockroach. If that second photo you posted is the same roach it's certainly not B.orientalis and appears to be a subadult male Parcoblatta. Your photo also says it's 1cm (Blatta orientalis adults are 2cm). It is difficult to identify most roaches from a nymph but the location, size and photo certainly indicate Parcoblatta.