Roaches Of Africa

That's like asking how many stars are in a section of the sky. :) American roaches, madiera, bullets, Gyna, and a number of hobby species are from Africa. If you do a search for Africa you can find some relevant threads.

Thank You Orin! I'm kinda more into the hobby species.

I found a seller over there that's selling T's, but also has some roaches and millies. But I've never bought anything overseas before, and I'm extremely leary. :unsure:

Hi you two

@Orin: You forgot one of the best known genus: all HISSERS (Gromphadorhini)! And Nauphoeta cinerea, Oxyhaloa deusta....

@TCLB:

From where over the sea? If you mean Germany: Who is it, maybe I know him... and if it's Africa: BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS, the "Nigeria Connection" is quite active in faked herp-trades!!! Never pay in advance or by PayPal or similar otherwise you might (better: will for sure) never see nor money nor pets! ALWAYS talk to the people and ask highly specific as well as completely silly questions to figure out whether the trader is serious and stop the contact at the slightest impression of irreguliarities!

The good thing with Europe is, that many roaches cost a tenth of what they do in the States. I already thought that I might get rich with oversee deals BUT there is a bad thing: there seem to be laws in the US regulating (prohibiting) the import of insects. Orin for sure can explain that to you in detail.

Uhh, what are "T's" and what means "leary" (Sorry, my english isn't that great and the only leary I know is Timothy Leary... :rolleyes: )???

Good luck!

Andreas

In order to legally bring live tarantulas and other inverts into the US there are some fees and inspections to be paid for and not just anything can be brought in. If this supplier isn't explaining that it's likely a very shady deal.

@Orin: You forgot one of the best known genus: all HISSERS (Gromphadorhini)! And Nauphoeta cinerea, Oxyhaloa deusta....

Hissers are from Madagascar, an island near Africa, I'm not sure the origin of N. cinerea is certain and O. deusta is tiny, and, uncommonly kept in the US.

Isn't Madagascar part of the african continent (by convention)? OK, geologically seen it would rather be Asia and 'biologically/evolutionary' it'll be its own continent...

And don't you offend my O. deusta! :lol:

I can't beliefe them being rare as they have an enormous reproduction rate! Got about 2'000 a month or two ago and now heading towards 3'000 by guess... so measured by stock volume they are my dominant species (and I have to be nice to them not that they annex my flat when I'm asleep :lol: ).

GREAT little feeding critters, about the same size than domestic crickets but a lot better in everything! My dogs, lizzards, hamsters and the mouse strongly recommend this species!!

Oh, and small size has its advantages too... it's easier to smuggle them over the US border... (na, just joking!)

Thanks Guys :)

He's from Tanzania. I just heard back from him, prices are really cheap. Then came the 50% down and Western Union. I think I'm going to run away from this deal, but I'm going to ask about permit's and such.

Is it O.k. to post his name and business name on here?

Not to over stress this, but be very attentive about this deal. I know of quite a few beetle dealers that have had very bad deals (loss of several hundred dollars) come out of some of those areas including Tanzania (a lot out of Cameroon).

Uhh, what are "T's" and what means "leary" (Sorry, my english isn't that great and the only leary I know is Timothy Leary... )???

Hello Pharma!

T's are Tarantulas and leary means apprehensive, unsure of what to do. :)

The dudes name Martiny Mbamba...........eddeinvestment@yahoo.com

Hopefully I won't get into trouble for posting that.

I just sent him a order and threw in a bunch of questions as far as importing, documents, fees, ect.......

Here's part of the last exchange that I had from him:

Once you place your order I need atleast 50% upfront that will enable me to prepare the whole shipment including paper work and other documents

Payments can channeled to account or through Western Union Money Transfer

I hope you can place your order

Rgds

Martiny

I'm interested to see what he has to say!

Ask the supplier for THREE references of people that he's done business with in the US or Europe (business are best). It is best if he shares their email addresses so you can follow up with them. Of course, they should be people that we are familiar with or they don't matter. When you get their contact info. plug it into the search engines and see what you can find. You have to do the footwork if you're going to even begin to think about doing business with these guys.

Hi Bug-Chick

DON'T, JUST DON'T!!!

1. 50% in advange -> bad

2. Reason for 50% is typical -> bad

3. eMail-Addi in Google -> bad

4. Trader XY@yahoo.com in Africa -> often bad

OT: Ah.. okidoki (learned something today...) :D

I thought everyone knew this was a scam....

NEVER buy ANYTHING shipped directly from Africa! IT IS ALL A SCAM. Anything that can go from Africa to USA legally by ANY stretch of the imagination has to go through at LEAST 2 handlers before you can pick up your livestock at A PORT OF ENTRY ONLY.

scam Scam SCAM. If it were legit they would have thier own website and email to sales@whatever.com and have references for you to contact first.

I can go on for pages about this.

I pretty much knew it was a scam. I've spent alot of time over the years on the Ebay Forums, and you would not believe the number of people who got ripped off. There wasn't anything that we could help them with, we just wished they would have stopped and asked us first. We're talking thousands of dollars for some of them.

Some of these people were even giving the scammers their credit card numbers, bank account numbers to name a few.......

Places like Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Singapore ect............

Both as a buyer & seller, you just have to be careful. Research your sellers, find out what others are saying about them......what's their feedback like?

What country are they from? It's all pretty much about common sense.

Thank You Everybody!

P.S...........

Peter,

The 5 Rhino's I bought from you last year are doing great! It's too bad I couldn't feed them some type of Miracle Grow to make the grow faster! :P

What a crock of crap!

Never buy anything shipped directly from Africa?

What kind of ##### comment is that, Matt??!

Are you suggesting that all Africans are thieves?! You probably imagine we're all black and call white folk 'Massa' too!

I have sent tarantulas, roaches and sticks all over the world and have never ripped anyone off so get off your bloody high horse!

Matt seems to have been referring to the fact we have to go through importers, fees and inspections here in the states (the vast array of laws, regulations and rules in our 'free' country is astounding). Anyone trying to sell directly from Africa is a scam because it doesn't matter if they're trying to steal your money or not, it's still illegal.

Matt seems to have been referring to the fact we have to go through importers, fees and inspections here in the states (the vast array of laws, regulations and rules in our 'free' country is astounding). Anyone trying to sell directly from Africa is a scam because it doesn't matter if they're trying to steal your money or not, it's still illegal.

Tarring everyone with the same brush is both moronic and irresponsible. Your own country's laws do not govern those from other countries, and regardless of the legally of your receiving goods in the United States of America sent directly from Africa or anywhere else, this does not constitute an automatic scam on the part of the consignee.

It is up to the receiver to ensure that all of the correct channels are followed, in order to allow the goods to enter his own Customs Zone, as it is that of the consignee to ensure his exporting procedures are all correct to allow the goods to leave his Customs zone legally.

Oh go cool your arse, Huntsman.

The fact of the matter is that 99.9999% of the time when someone in the USA sees an ad for something for sale from anywhere in Africa, it IS a scam. Period. A majority of Americans are naive to the facts and regulations concerning the international trade in livestock, and you are obviously very naive of the livestock hobbies in North America. Laws in America are not well publicized or readily available to the common citizen due to the complexities and specifics of each region and governing department. There seems to be a large number of people who live in African countries who are aware of Americans lack of knowledge of thier own laws and they purposefully take advantage of that. All day every day. We (in America) are consistantly bombarded with Africans claiming to be able to ship to us without issues and to "have taken care of" the paperwork on BOTH ends of the purchase. Additionally, Americans frequently get emails or advertisements claiming to be someone in Africa that needs money from someone here in order to help some prince, tribe member, or long lost relative claim a fortune to which we get a share. All fraudulent.

So it is completely appropriate to assume ALL ads from someone in Africa are scams if they deal with individuals directly ever. If they are legal, then they ship to a legal U.S. importer who can inturn sell to the individual. Period. No exceptions.

I am sorry you were not aware of these facts.

I will do my best to avoid insulting you at this point as that will only draw me down to your level.

Scams that originate in Nigeria have as much to do with me 3000 miles and six countries away as the Cocaine trade in Bogota has to do with you, genius! So all Phillippinos are pirates and South Americans all carry swine flu?