Aeluropoda insignis - Flat Hisser

Is there any major difference in care for this species than a regular hisser? Also, is there a reason this species is so expensive slow like slow growth or limited reproduction?

Care is the same as for other hisser species. I have many hisser species and they are all cared for identically, with the exception that some seem to prefer more vegetables and others not (fish pellets being the alternative).

They are expensive by comparison because they are very rare in culture. Relatively few people even have them and I know of nobody that has a large colony other than me. ;) They do reproduce as often as other hissers but the number of nymphs may be slightly less per birthing.

Care is the same as for other hisser species. I have many hisser species and they are all cared for identically, with the exception that some seem to prefer more vegetables and others not (fish pellets being the alternative).

They are expensive by comparison because they are very rare in culture. Relatively few people even have them and I know of nobody that has a large colony other than me. ;) They do reproduce as often as other hissers but the number of nymphs may be slightly less per birthing.

Thanks, Matt! I was worried they were overly difficult to keep or something.

• 2 months later...

Hi Onagro

I keep mine the same way than my other hissers. They seem to eat more vegetables and fresh food (@Matt: I wonder which of your spec. prefere what :D ), about the same amount of oak leafes but less cereals and 'protein stuff'. They do reproduce equally often but mine have only 5-10 'babies' compared with up to 20 from other species.

About the price: Again I'm soooo happy to live in Switzerland where you can get one for "a dollar and a dime". :D

Wish you fun with those hissers! They (or at least mine) are really funny because they do hiss a lot more and move more around than my other bigger species (only my dwarf hissers are more active).

Liebs Grüessli

Andreas

Hi Onagro

I keep mine the same way than my other hissers. They seem to eat more vegetables and fresh food (@Matt: I wonder which of your spec. prefere what :D ), about the same amount of oak leafes but less cereals and 'protein stuff'. They do reproduce equally often but mine have only 5-10 'babies' compared with up to 20 from other species.

About the price: Again I'm soooo happy to live in Switzerland where you can get one for "a dollar and a dime". :D

Wish you fun with those hissers! They (or at least mine) are really funny because they do hiss a lot more and move more around than my other bigger species (only my dwarf hissers are more active).

Liebs Grüessli

Andreas

You've only had 20 from other species? :huh: Odd, they tend to have 20-50 (I did have a recent clutch of 12)? Back on topic, what size are Aeluropoda?

Uhh... only my dwarf hissers have regularly more than 20. Lucky you! Might be the diet (too good to share with the offspring :lol: )?

A. insignis males are about 7 cm (approx. 3.5 inch) in size and have this "cool, flat and strange" appearance, females become about 5 cm (approx. 2.5 inch) only, are more slender ( :blink: translation OK?) and don't look that much different from smaller females of Gromphadorhina sp. (in my oppinion).