Day active species

OBJ

Which species are active in the daytime??

My Therea olegrandjeani (only the adults) are, but I know there are more.

Still, I have never seen a list of species in the hobby with this characteristic? ;)

Can you add to the list? As far as I have heard, Ophistoplatia orientalis should also be day active - is that correct?

'Exotic Insects' get the question from institutions of many kinds, where they want the roaches to be active when children or public in general are.

BR/

Ole

Hi Ole

My T. olegrandjeani adults are only occasionally visible during daytime which is true for many of my roaches (e.g. Eublaberus sp., Archimandrita sp., Gromphadorhina sp., Elliptorhina chopardi, Aeluropoda insignis, Princisia vanwaerebeki, and Lucihormetica sp.). Especially the hissers can be kept such that you or school children can see them permanently by using branches a bit too small to hide completely (just omit bright lights!). They sometimes gather outside their hiding places to take a sun bath (when it's cooler in the room and the sun shines at the boxes).

My E. distanti can be "activated" at any time with food ;) but only the adult ones creep and eat over ground whilst the nymphs remain in the soil and drag the food down (looks like an earthquake devouring a town in a B-movie :D ).

My "most day active" roaches are Gyna lurida (as always only the adult ones) where approximately 10% of them is hanging around over ground during the day (even if it's a bright and shiny day). Most of them start to "swarm out" one to two hours before dusk (7 to 8 p.m.) but that might be too late for your purposes.

Actually I heard of a species where the adults should be kind of sun dwelling but I forgot which one <_< . But there are no real day active species to my knowledge...

Liebs Grüessli

Andreas

I wonder if you could encourage them to be more active during the day by only lighting them during the day enough they are visible and then at night putting a stronger light scource on them? They might be tempted to shift their behavior being active and feeding at what they think is evening but it's really daytime with many little eyes peering through the glass at them. That'd be neat.

Shifting the day-night rhythm per se shouldn't be problematic as long as you use a week or a red (due to a reduced perception at longer wavelength) light source (and maybe red tinted box).