Sense of humor when it comes to barriers:

Matt K

While I have rarely had any escape, it has ordinarily been my fault....

Apparantly my wife does not find it nearly as humorous as I do that we can be watching TV in the late evening and have a Panchlora nivea come fluttering into the living room and land on the TV screen.... I thought it was pretty funny for some reason but her tone was very stern.

Tight fitting screen top, Vaseline barrier, but I opened the lid to toss in a couple apple cores after "lights out" and one (or more?) must have flown the coup when I had the lid open briefly... wondering if anyone had tried to devise a small "airlock" or similar chamber for use on a tighly closed container before.

While I have rarely had any escape, it has ordinarily been my fault....

Apparantly my wife does not find it nearly as humorous as I do that we can be watching TV in the late evening and have a Panchlora nivea come fluttering into the living room and land on the TV screen.... I thought it was pretty funny for some reason but her tone was very stern.

Tight fitting screen top, Vaseline barrier, but I opened the lid to toss in a couple apple cores after "lights out" and one (or more?) must have flown the coup when I had the lid open briefly... wondering if anyone had tried to devise a small "airlock" or similar chamber for use on a tighly closed container before.

Although I have no input on the airlock idea,

I have had this happen with friends over.

I found it hilarious when one of my girl friends went to pick up her mountain dew can and there was a hisser staring at her. Boy did she jump. lol

Although I have no input on the airlock idea,

I have had this happen with friends over.

I found it hilarious when one of my girl friends went to pick up her mountain dew can and there was a hisser staring at her. Boy did she jump. lol

Too bad you couldn't have captured that moment on film.......

Matt, What type of container do you have them in? Probably a 10Gal since you have a screen top?

It is a 10 gallon tank with a slide-on screen top and I think it was made by Perfecto brand. It is the only one that has a really good sized mesh for the screen and tight fitting top that is escape proof without any other hassle. I like to use these for small roach species that also make great feeders for arachnids and lizards. If you want to grow alot of Panchlora nivea, Schultesia, Pseudomops, etc. its the way to go. For the P.nivea I may easily have a thousand of them in that tank....until I feed half of them off. Its not too hard to scoop out 20-50 of them, but to get larger numbers is a little tricky.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'll keep trying to think of something...

? ? ?? What do you mean?

Are you trying to find / make an enclosure for P.nivea? There are several ways to go about it just as well. All you need basically is any tight sealing container that you can cut away most of the lid and hot-glue some screen on over the opening cut out. I have even used (in the past) a large plastic Kritter Keeper that I hot glued screen to the underside of the lid then cut away the screen where the small door-type opening is on the top....may still have one around here somewhere....

My mother's biggest fear is cockroaches, its what piqued my interest in them, her constantly reminding me of how afraid she was. Never understood it myself, but escapees i was generally able to keep under wraps until they brought a cat into the house last year. Part of my reasons for offloading my colonies is the constant pressure they've been giving me since several incidents where they'd be upstairs eating dinner and the cat would come upstairs with a live B. craniifer in its mouth in order to show them. I don't know where the cat keeps finding them, but its better at it than I am, and the first thing it does is go and drop it near my mother. I'm sure it would be funny if not for the aftermath!

... wondering if anyone had tried to devise a small "airlock" or similar chamber for use on a tighly closed container before.

So these roaches live in a container with a lid. But imagine that you were having an optional opening which was vertical and where you could get a hand through to toss something in for instance. On such an opening you could place a 'curtain' of sliced-up plastic. When your hand passes through the opening, all the slices will bend and adapt to your hand, but at the same time still be a barrier against flying roaches. So they might give it s go, but they end up into the slices. Am I explaining it well enough or you want a small sketch of it? :o

BR/

Ole

? ? ?? What do you mean?

I mean thinking of ways to make an airlock. Personally I have kritter keepers too with old t-shirt material that drapes over the top before the top gets clipped down. Works great! You still have the problem of having a large opening which flying species could take advantage of while feeding though.

So these roaches live in a container with a lid. But imagine that you were having an optional opening which was vertical and where you could get a hand through to toss something in for instance. On such an opening you could place a 'curtain' of sliced-up plastic. When your hand passes through the opening, all the slices will bend and adapt to your hand, but at the same time still be a barrier against flying roaches. So they might give it s go, but they end up into the slices. Am I explaining it well enough or you want a small sketch of it? :o

BR/

Ole

I understand this I think, but how would it prevent crawling roaches from pushing thier way through ??

I understand this I think, but how would it prevent crawling roaches from pushing thier way through ??
Hope that the attached file can illustrate a draft to what was the general idea.

I might be mistaken regarding the containers used as terrariums for cultures. But these have been shown here.

I am using glass-aquariums, so no remedy for demonstration, unfortunately.

Precision lies in the moulding. Vaseline could be added as a means to keep nosy roaches out...

I am not too well updated on the technical terms - hope you can abstract from that... :)

The image is uploaded, but cannot be shown except as a link: (sorry for the inconvenience)

Small sketch

BR/

Ole

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Spooky things happens on the upload side now we´re getting close to Halloween... :rolleyes:

Let us see if this attempt will work!?

post-607-1256303878_thumb.jpg

BR/

Ole

Hi, My first post here! My solution is to cut a 4" hole in the side/top of your tank or tub. I then fix a sleeve to it by the wide end. This is done either with copious amounts of contact adhesive, or cutting two rings of thin ply/mdf (inside diameter matching hole) and bolting them either side of your hole with the sleeve trapped between. A combination of both gives most security. The sleeve can be a surgical stocking or garment sleeve/leg made of man made fibre. You can slide your hand in with a small tub if you need to. When not in use you just twist and knot the sleeve. I've not tried it with larger roaches but it's worked fine for my panchlora nivea. The only time i loose 'em is when i open the lid. You can also replace the end of an aquarium with perspex to allow easy cutting at home, Dave.

Hi, My first post here! My solution is to cut a 4" hole in the side/top of your tank or tub. I then fix a sleeve to it by the wide end. This is done either with copious amounts of contact adhesive, or cutting two rings of thin ply/mdf (inside diameter matching hole) and bolting them either side of your hole with the sleeve trapped between. A combination of both gives most security. The sleeve can be a surgical stocking or garment sleeve/leg made of man made fibre. You can slide your hand in with a small tub if you need to. When not in use you just twist and knot the sleeve. I've not tried it with larger roaches but it's worked fine for my panchlora nivea. The only time i loose 'em is when i open the lid. You can also replace the end of an aquarium with perspex to allow easy cutting at home, Dave.

So what if yoiu have a species to contain that chews through fabric and plastic fiber ?

• 1 year later...

My mother's biggest fear is cockroaches, its what piqued my interest in them, her constantly reminding me of how afraid she was. Never understood it myself, but escapees i was generally able to keep under wraps until they brought a cat into the house last year. Part of my reasons for offloading my colonies is the constant pressure they've been giving me since several incidents where they'd be upstairs eating dinner and the cat would come upstairs with a live B. craniifer in its mouth in order to show them. I don't know where the cat keeps finding them, but its better at it than I am, and the first thing it does is go and drop it near my mother. I'm sure it would be funny if not for the aftermath!

lol