Phrynus barbadensis female molting

Matt K

Not very often you actually see this happen- particularly on an adult that had produced eggs before:

amblipygidmolt001.jpg

amblipygidmolt010.jpg

It seemed to respond to the light so I left it alone after a couple of quick photos.... would have liked to have had a better camera on hand for this event.

:(

Do you still have males for breeding? After the females produce eggs they have to molt before they can mate again.

Orin- There is still a male in there with that female, so I will cross my fingers. BTW- these are quite a bit larger than thier Florida cousins....

Kevin- No, she kept the eggs until they were fairly developed ( 2/3rds I guess) and I kept looking in there - which maybe disturbed her? - but one day the eggs were just gone with no trace of anything....I assume she ate them as they were not on the soil floor nor were there babies.

:(

I have a single male that was probably mature but wasn't too impressive. However, he molted and is now much larger than the biggest Phrynus marginemaculata.

My female is significantly (2x or more) larger than the male I have, and my male is probably the same size as yours it sounds. I will try to get measurements, but these guys are very fast!

The newly molted female is so jet black and clean and beautiful now I can hardly believe it- she has never been this big black and awesome!

Will try to get a pic soon...

My female is significantly (2x or more) larger than the male I have, and my male is probably the same size as yours it sounds. I will try to get measurements, but these guys are very fast!

The newly molted female is so jet black and clean and beautiful now I can hardly believe it- she has never been this big black and awesome!

Will try to get a pic soon...

WOW !! She was jet black yesterday and today a golden tan color and the male is his normal charcoal color as was the female prior to molting.... will try for a pic during the day tomorrow.